Author Topic: Robert Neilson - Drowned at Gibralter 1874  (Read 2287 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Robert Neilson - Drowned at Gibralter 1874
« on: Wednesday 17 February 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
A Robert Neilson from the Falkirk area died when the SS Queen Elizabeth was shipwrecked off Gibralter in early 1874.

According to newspaper reports he was young (whatever that means) when he died and held the position of Chief Officer on the ship.  His body was recovered and he was buried at Gibralter.

Finding information on the shipwreck has proved difficult and so I would appreciate any assistance in identifying who this Robert Neilson was i.e. parents/place of birth etc.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Neilson - Drowned at Gibralter 1874
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Still no responses to this one, so I thought I would resurrect it in the hope that someone might be able to offer some assistance.

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Hannah29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 11 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Coonwarra

Have you tried Gibraltar Archives? The website is www.gibraltar.gov.gi and the email is archives[at]gibraltar.gi (replace [at] with @)

It's a long shot, but always worth a try.

Hannah

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 11 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah29

Good idea - I have sent them an e-mail.

Thanks for the suggestion.