Author Topic: neath cemetery  (Read 8133 times)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: neath cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
A good result!

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both....I do feel very happy about it......it has been something I have been looking for for a long time!!!

Jan

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
  • WARNING - some family trees may produce nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 March 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
yes The Green is where the cattle market is held, but the proper Mile End Row has been demolished.

As you head from Ynysmaerdy cemetry back into Neath you travel along the main road. The area where the Esso petrol station, Lidle & Castle Bingo are is where the old Mile End Row houses stood.  Right opposite the petrol station are some houses set back with a grass area in front of them and that was where the majority of the houses were.  It did run along past the Melin school, along where the flats are and up as far as the restraurant which i think is now called Taverna Paradiso (the building used to be the old Eaglesbush pub).

Just past the petrol station, opposite the school there is a mile stone set against the wall - hence the name Mile End Row.

Hope this is of some interest,

Delyth.
Jenkins, Morgan(s), Jones, Williams, Evans - Pontardawe

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Brooks - Neath & North Devon

Southwood - North Devon

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 March 10 11:54 GMT (UK) »
The milestone is still there too; as you look at the petrol station from the road its near the right hand entrance to the forecourt.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/