Author Topic: Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY
« on: Thursday 18 February 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that someone can kindly provide more information (e.g. father's occupation) on the baptism of Kezia Amelia Gray dated 3rd March 1822 at Bath St Swithun? Thank you.
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynfran,

It seems Kezia was born in 1799 but not baptised until 1822 therefore her fathers occupation was not listed. There is also a sibling listed on FreeReg who was baptised in 1797 (prior to the forms and inclusion of the fathers occupation.)

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=1438351

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 10 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kris and, sorry, didn't get notification of your reply, so only just come across it!
Yes, I'd seen that 'sibling' baptism and wondered why there was such a gap between Kezia's birth and baptism.
Probably stupid question ,but when and under what circumstances was a father's occupation shown on the baptismal register?
The (I think) strange thing is that I have an 1863 certified copy of the 1813 baptism of another child and this gives the father's occupation. It took place not at St Swithin's, but at the same (Argyle Independent) chapel as the 'sibling', Jesse.
Regards
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 10 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynfran,

I didn't look further but wondered if Kezia may have been emigrating or marrying which brought on the late baptism.

Initially all records were just a single line across the page of the parish register.

In 1754 the forms arrived for marriage. These allowed the inclusion of witness names and possibly further information on parish of residence.  Fathers names were not included until after civil registration began in July 1837 and the forms were updated to allow for this inclusion.

In 1813 the forms arrived for baptsms and burials. (name date and parents names is general is all we see prior to this) The forms allowed for extra information to be included such as a residence and an occupation for baptisms and with burials we then see an age, residence and possibly further information such as "wife/son/dau of ...."

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 10 03:20 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the marriage

John GRAY bachelor of Bath St Michael = Keziah HORNBLOWER spinster of Walcot St Marys Chapel by Banns 11 Nov 1796 Walcot St Marys Chapel

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 10 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Kris, very good of you. That certainly looks like the marriage, unfortunately without John's occupation, (surgeon) I can't be sure. He re-married in 1805 at Winchester, when he was described as a widower. From all the interesting information that you provided re' forms, would child Kezia's 1822 baptism have had all the extra information on do you think?
Just found why no notifications, they were being trapped by 'anti spam'!
Regards
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynfran,

Glad you found your notifications.  ;D

I think that entry for Kezia is all there is because she was an adult bringing herself for baptism. Those FreeReg entries are usually complete, but of course get a look at it to convince yourself.

Do you have reason to believe Kezia was his daughter? I did not find anything further on her.

I am afraid I am not all that convinced with this possible marriage at this stage. After looking about today I found the chap you were after was a surgeon. You will need to see the marriage entries for signatures but I note the marriage to Jane was by licence.

Marriage Licence Allegation

John GRAY of Walcot Bath co Somerset, surgeon 35 widowed = Jane GOVER of St Thomas Winchester, 26 spinster at St Thomas Winchester 6 Dec 1805 Bondsman - William GOVER of St Thomas Builder

I would expect that. Upper class people often marry by Licence as it is a symbol of their status in the community. (and they could afford the licence) This Bath marriage is by Banns.  :-\ Not saying he couldn't marry by banns but I would be inclined to think surgeon would have been included in the entry. I would certainly want to get a look at it. Maybe it is there - I have only seen a transcript. I would have liked to find Jesse or Kezia later on but alas I have not spotted either of them. (or the parents)

I see John and Jane's childrens baptisms appear in the BMD Register, but alas they wont help with this previous marriage.

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Jesse also so you could purchase copies if you wish

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris
You are right to have doubts about the marriage, I admit that I was 'sucked in' by the circumstances, i.e. the use of the Argyle Chapel also used for baptisms of children by 2nd marriage, the date (John would have been around 26 at the time of 'marriage').
However, I will buy some credits and follow up your suggestion re' Jesse's baptism and let you know the outcome.
Thanks again for your interest & help so far.
Regards
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY - COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris
Glad to let you know that I've (at last - 2 years!) confirmed 'John Gray' as my gg grandfather. Thanks to recently released newspaper archives, I have found an announcement for the marriage of 'John Gray, Apothecary, to Kezia Hornblower', John indeed having trained and traded at that time as an apothecary, as did his son.
Thank you again for your contribution to this result.
Regards
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire