Author Topic: Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY  (Read 5925 times)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Walcot was an enormous parish and FreeREG's transcriptions of its registers have been done piecemeal by about 20 people over several years.  Some from images of the originals but some from older transcripts. The latter do not always include all the information that was in the original, and that is the case with the file covering 1822.  The original entry for Kezia Gray  very likely included her  father's occupation, but the transcript didn't.

We hope eventually to replace the incomplete transcriptions, but priority goes to registers that haven't been transcribed at all.

David
FreeREG Area Assistant for Bath

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
That's interesting, thank you
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline ontymay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Parish record for Kezia GRAY - COMPLETED
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris
Glad to let you know that I've (at last - 2 years!) confirmed 'John Gray' as my gg grandfather. Thanks to recently released newspaper archives, I have found an announcement for the marriage of 'John Gray, Apothecary, to Kezia Hornblower', John indeed having trained and traded at that time as an apothecary, as did his son.
Thank you again for your contribution to this result.
Regards
Cynfran

Hi Cynfran,

I wonder if you have any further information about Keziah Hornblower who married John Gray.

I have someone of that name born abt 1768 as the daughter of Jabez Carter Hornblower and Mary John. This comes from an old family tree without citations and I have not found anything else about her in my searches. According to my tree she had siblings Hephzibah (b 1768), Nebusta (b 1770) and Jabez John (1773) all unsubstantiated. They would have been born in Cornwall I believe.

The supposed father, Jabez Carter Hornblower remarried after the death of Mary (c. 1781 I think) to Ann Hanbury in 1875, going on to have 4 more children, Annetta Hanbury Hornblower, Eliza Hanbury Hornblower, Jemima Hanbury Hornbloser and Jabez  Hanbury Hornblower.

I wonder, if my Keziah and yours were the same person.
Thanks if you can help
Julia

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 August 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia
'Your' Keziah looks about the right age, but unfortunately,none of your family names that you mention appear in my family, at least not yet anyway!
It is of course possible that there is a connection as, to date, I have not been able to find anything about Keziah Gray, nee Hornblower's family. If anything comes up, I will let you know. Regards, Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline ontymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much.

I have made no headway with her or brother Jesse but did make some progress on John Grays children with Jane Gover

Let's hope something turns up

Julia

Offline Nebusta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia
           My great grandmother was Ann Maria Hornblower, I have done alot of Hornblower family history happy to share. It was of great interest to me to see that you had the names of the sisters between Kezia and Jabez John I had not been able to find them. Jabez Carter Hornblower was married twice. 1 to Mary John 2 to Anne Hanbury, I have details of all 8 children, Jabez's father was Jonathon his wife Ann Carter they had 13 childeren all named with J. His father Joseph married twice 1 Rebecca Haywood had 5 childeren all with j 2 Mary Bright had 4 childeren 3 with J and Isaac. I have not been able to find a proven line before Joseph and would appreciate any help you could give,
Nebusta.

Offline ontymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nebusta,
How interesting to hear for you. I am not sure that I have much to offer other than the names from my old family tree which are unsubstantiated. I am not sure when the tree was done but I think around World War I when my German rooted family where trying to establish their English credentials. I have found it to be accurate on all other details so I feel inclined to believe that the details of Hephzibah and Nebusta are correct, there is just a name and dob (probably christening).

I was interested to see you have Joseph Hornblower's wives as Rebecca Haywood and Mary Bright. I had Rebecca Potter and an unknown wife, so thanks. Can you tell me the source of that information?

I also have Joseph's parents as Edmund Hornblower and Mary Carpenter, but with no source substantiation.

I shall have another dig around in that side of my tree and see if anything more turns up

All the best
Julia

Offline Nebusta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 November 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia
          Thank you for your reply, a lot of my information was obtained from letters beteen the Hornblower family here and in America. The record for Joseph's 1st marriage taken from the Church book 1654-1798 of the Messiah Baptist Church, Cinder Bank, Netherton. also Rebecca's death. His 2nd Marriage to Mary Bright 8 Jun 1731 in Dudley Worcester.
1st marr produced: Jonathon, Josiah, Joseph, Josiah,Joanna
2nd  "           "          Joshua, Jabez, James, Isaac 1744-1818  Isaac had a son Ebenezer Bright Hornblower marr. Martha Della 1802 Their grandchilderen all had Bright as part of their names. Isaac was witness to Joseph's death when 18yrs in 1762 but where the boys were born or he died not known. Many think he died in Bristol, Extensive searches of all Bristol records did not find him.
        Many suggestions for Joseph's parents best one for me by P W Dickinson
shows parents George Hornblower and Martha Della 1682 they had 3 sons William, Rutter, Joseph. Not able to prove yet.  Thanks again Nebuster