Author Topic: mysterious PEEL/HUTLEY family  (Read 2260 times)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
mysterious PEEL/HUTLEY family
« on: Thursday 18 February 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have a very complicated web to try and untangle. It relates to my gggrandmother Sarah PEEL who is known to have had 5 children as listed on her death notice here in South Africa. I can find no record of her marriage at all. The only evidence of a PEEL "husband" is on the 1871 census, living in Kent. All the children are listed as PEEL and all later married as PEELs. Sarah and 4 of the children ended up in South Africa.
I had searched for the birth registration of the children but were not able to find any until I received Sarah's death notice and discovered that her maiden was HUTLEY. 4 of her children were registered as HUTLEY and not PEEL! My ggrandmothers cert said Fred PEEL was the father but then this was crossed out! I now have 3 more of teh Children's certs and the first child (Fred) has Walter Hutley listed as his father. Walter was Sarah's brother and was married at the time! The baptism record also gives Walter as the father. The address given on the baptism cert is the same one that he lived in 1861 and 1871.
Child no 2 is Arthur - his father is listed as Frederick Robert HUTLEY.
Child no 3 is Henry- his father is listed as Frederick HUTLEY
Child no 4 is my ggrandma Lilian - father listed as Frederick PEEL and then crossed out

I can only find one reference to Frederick Peel b Belper in all the census info available.
In 1861, there was a Robert Peal, born Tweed, living next door to Walter HUTLEY
I have a copy of a Robert Fred PEEL dying in Kent but this gives no clue to any of the family.

To save face, would she have listed Fred senior as Hutley? Would Walter have stood in as father? What were the regulations governing illegitimate children in the 1860's?

Any ideas  would be welcome! This has been a brick wall for many many years!

Many thanks
Ruth

(see also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,406083.0.html)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Qoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mysterious PEEL/HUTLEY family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
I replied to your post about Frederick before I saw this one.
I think I am decended from the same Henry as you mention, we never could find any records, this could be why.
I would love to exchange stories with you.
David