Author Topic: NEIL family  (Read 3005 times)

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
Re: NEIL family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi djamesp,
Gosh what a small world that you knew my Great Grandfather and your Father was a friend of Great Uncle Les, my Mum told me some wonderful stories of Les and her Father (Roger)
I hope I can be of some help to you, but I must apolagize it won't until next week that I can dig out my family records and have a closer look.
I am fairly sure I have Mary and John's deaths, Hugh on the other hand has been harder to pin down for definate, I think I may have only the years also. Have a copy of his marriage cert to Hannah DIXON nee RODGERS if you would like a copy of that.
Hugh was a baker, in Glasgow and NZ and there are some references to him in Papaers past.
I do know he and Hannah are buried in Wanganui, (the city cemetery) but the grave is unmarked.
Also would be happy to supply a copy of his death cert.
I would love any info you have about Hugh, from his photos he looks a kind man, and I get the feeling he and his daughter Frances were very close.
Looking forward to your reply,

Gail.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 February 23 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I hope someone sees this after so long.  I am doing research on the ship NORWOOD 1854 Liverpool to Melbourne.  I am hoping to find any details of the journey from personal diaries, Captain James PRICES Journal (if there was one?)  I have been able to find one image of the Norwood but would like verification.

I'm trying to look on Lloyds of London as well.  A bit daunting!

My ancestor ALEXANDER CHARLES was a 26 (when he purchased his ticket) Year old Stonemason who was born in Farnell/Brechin Forfar in 1828.

I have a copy of the ticket but it is not very clear!

Just trying to add some new leaves to his tree.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 23 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Farnell/Brechin Forfar in 1828.
Farnell and Brechin are two separate and mutually exclusive parishes in the County of Angus, which is also known as Forfarshire or the County of Forfar. Forfar is another separate parish which includes the town of Forfar.

Alexander was baptised in Farnell, not in Brechin.

He may have found, when he was asked for his birthplace, that the official asking the question had never heard of Farnell, and he may have added something along the lines of 'near Brechin'. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.