Author Topic: Tracing in Ireland  (Read 9257 times)

Offline fionamacd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deirdre,

Sorry that i had to change my information but my Father first told me that Samuel his Dad came from Kilkeel which put me on the wrong track totally. My sister looked at my Fathers Birth Certificate for me and said that Samuel was noted as being born in Markethill. Thus the change. None too great at all of this to be honest but trying nonetheless although I am getting varied information from my family. Thanks for the help regarding the Scottish Census. I will have a look there.

Kind Regards,

Fiona
McClenaghan/Mccleneghan

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

To be able to find any birth, marriage, death record in Scotland, you need to go on to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (Ancestry.com has some Scottish records but not as much as this website).  You can do a search for your ancestors (you may have to register first) and then when you find what you are looking for, you have to pay to view the records.  I think it is about £7 to get 30 credits and it is 1 credit to look at the index and 5 credits to look at the cert.  Samuel's marriage cert will give his parents' names, what their occupation was and if they are alive or dead at the time of his marriage.  Unfortunately it won't say where they lived.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Deirdre

Offline fionamacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 February 13 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deirdre,

Just to let you know that your suggestion of looking up the Scotlands People site worked and I have now discovered my Grandfathers true date of Birth. Further to that I have also traced his parents names and dates of Birth.

Thank you ever so much for your help in this.

Kindest regards,
Fiona
McClenaghan/Mccleneghan

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 February 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

You are very welcome.  It is a great website and even though it is pay per view, a lot cheaper than other pay per view websites.  If only the other vital records were as good as the Scottish ones!

Kind regards

Deirdre

Offline fionamacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Del,

Thank you so much for the information. My Father remembers family details off and on and this was who tha man Minnie Married worked with. Can maybe try and trace more records from that now.

Thanks again.
Fiona
McClenaghan/Mccleneghan

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 09:45 GMT (UK) »

He was born in 1872 in Newry, County Down and as far as I can discover, his parents names were William (Father) and Sarah Hume (Mother). The town he lived in was Kilkeel.

Samuel John McClenaghan was born on 18 Dec 1872 to William McClenaghan and Sarah Hume. His birth was registered in Kilkeel.

Birth 1872   #45    MMN actually looks like Hanna
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03227/2182930.pdf

Confirmed by GRONI https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
U/1872/124/1015/6/45   Samuel McClenaghan   18th December 1872   Male   Hanna    Kilkeel

Born at Ballykeel townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/mourne/kilkeel/ballykeel/

Looks like the marriage of the parents in 1871.
William MCLENEHAN (sic) to Sarah HANNA on 7th March 1871.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11329/8158318.pdf
Both residing in Ballykeel.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »

Here's an older sibling of Samuel John also born in 1872.......Margaret (in February).   MMN Hanna   #375
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03265/2196854.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 January 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hellow i have atatched birth certs for samuel and margaret mcclenaghan , both born killeel margaret febuary 1872 and Samuel  December 1872 both of william and sarah Hume , same profession and same person present at birth.

Hope it helps

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 January 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hellow i have atatched birth certs for samuel and margaret mcclenaghan , both born killeel margaret febuary 1872 and Samuel  December 1872 both of william and sarah Hume , same profession and same person present at birth.

See replies #23 and #24
The mother's maiden name is Hanna.