Author Topic: Terrim  (Read 2516 times)

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Terrim
« on: Friday 19 February 10 02:14 GMT (UK) »
This thread is connected to my andrew thread but it is soley about a lady called Isabell terrim . Have just come back to looking at this family and she is bugging me. Her surname i find intersting as i am unsure if it is actually a scottish surname. She is mentioned in family search as the mother and wife of william andrew and his children but from there it ends. They lived in old and new kilpatrick born 1766 would there be a scottish census at  that time in scotland Would anyone have any idea where the surname comes from or has it been written incorrectly in parish records When i went and had a look on family search I noticed on all 7 children from 1786 to1804 the spelling is fairly consistent.  H
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
Re: Terrim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
I've had a look in Black's "Surnames of Scotland" and the name doesn't appear there, nor can I see anything that looks like it. Have you had a look at the original parish records (online via Scotland's People) to see if the name has been transcribed correctly?
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 12 09:52 BST (UK) »
Could it possibly be a mistranscription of TERRIS?

If you were to download one (or all) of the children's births from the OPR's, you'd get a better idea of  what the handwriting was like and if it could be something other than 'Terrim'.

Anne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
Looking at entries on new familysearch:

https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ATirrim~%20%2Bany_place%3Ascotland

Not many at all but certainly those there seem to feature in Old/New Kilpatrick,​Dunbarton.

Surname must be very old as most entries seem to be for the 1600/1700s.

Very old post on another forum, but same issues http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WGW-SURNAMES-SCOTLAND/2001-05/0990581796

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk