Author Topic: Mystery Pub  (Read 7324 times)

Offline yvon-3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Pub
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      I have a bit of a mystery. My Grandmother lived in Hanbury Worcestershire in a cottage nextdoor to a pub from about 1911 onwards for many years.
I have spoken to a couple of people from Hanbury to find out if a Pub called the Flaggs is still there, because I have some letters addressed to my gran, the address is.

The Flaggs
Hanbury
Nr Bromsgrove

But no one seems to remember a pub called the Flaggs ,just the Vernon Arms which is still there. Does anyone know if the cottage next to the Vernon Arms is  or was called the Flaggs?

Hope someone can help,

Thanks Yvonne

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Pub
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Interesting question Can you tell us the name of the family you are researching please? I have several HANBURY Families on our tree
 :)
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline yvon-3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      I am researching my mothers family .  It is the Small family ,most of them came from Earls Common and  Himbleton. But my Gran lived in Hanbury she lived in a cottage next to a pub. Which I assumed to be called the Flaggs but I have come to the conclusion that it must have been the cottage that was called the Flaggs and was nextdoor to the Vernon Arms. The cottage she lived in was owned by Lord George Vernon.
    The other families in my Small tree are Lusher which was my gran's maiden name she was born in Holt.  Pullen which was my grandfather's mothers maiden name and Bourne was my grandmother's ,mother's maiden name. Hope this makes sence. My grans name was Agnes Mary Small nee Lusher b 1888, she had a twin sister Ellen Louisa Lusher

Yvonne

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 10 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Um I hoped we would have one common name to search for I have one BOURNE from Droitwich but none of the other names sorry. Have you contacted the RO they have old maps which may shoew the cottage I wonder if it was originally owned by a family called Flagg?
Sorry not to be ale to help I hope someone else does though :)
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline yvon-3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      Thanks for replying. Which Bourne do you have?

I have Amy Louisa Bourne b.1857 In Claines d.1945 and her father Thomas Bourne.b 1821 d.1897.
            If you would like to know the names of his other children let me know.

Yvonne

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
My one and only is Henry born abt 1816 a mason's labourer married Amelia MOULE born 1815 ombersleydau of Samuel and Ann MOULE
1861 he was a railway labourer no children
Will check what else I have on them later
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you been in contact with the Worcestershire Records Office the will have extensive records of Lord George Vernons estate. A real rebel!

Sir George Vernon  the last of the Vernons of Hanbury Hall, was a real rebel. He left the Hall and £66,000 to his farm foreman's daughter, Ruth Powick, whom he had taken as his mistress. The powick family had served the Vernons for centuries. Ruth was 16, when one day, Sir George,  2nd Baronet and last of his line, came to her father's cottage, and said in his blunt way, 'Ted, I want to borrow your daughter for six months. Things are in a mess at the Hall'. Lady Vernon was then living in London. Ruth learned short-hand and book-keeping, and travelled the world with Sir George.
Ruth later recalled; 'Ten years later, he again called on my father. This time, he was as blunt as ever. He said, 'Ted, your daughter has been a treasure. I decided to leave her everything. My one great wish is for Ruth to take the Vernon name. What do you say, Ted ?' So Ruth changed her name by deed poll, and Sir George introduced her everywhere as his daughter'.
Sir George had a hatred of the Established Church, and carried on a bitter campaign against church. In 1935, he watched his furniture being sold by auction in the forecourt at Hanbury Hall, in payment of the tythes dues. In protest against the tythe laws he gave instructions that he was not to be buried in the local churchyard, but in unconsecrated ground. He declared, 'No parson is going to read any service over me; and in  1940, five years to the day when his furniture was sold, he was found in his bedroom, with a revolver beside him. He was 74, and left no heir. For some time he was associated himself with Sir Oswald Moseley and the British Fascist organisation, and moves were in hand to arrest and detain him.

The last service the Powick family did for Sir George was to bury him in the heart of Shrawley Wood, part of the Vernon estate. He had asked to be buried there as a last gesture in his long campaign against the church. Lady Vernon was still living at Hanbury Hall. Ruth gave the Hall to the National Trust, but she was still the mistress of the 20 roomed Vernon mansion at Shrawley. She later married, and became Mrs.F.Horton.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting piece of history wish we had some Powick connections to link it too is the hall still NT must put it on th"to visit" list.
Youu wouldn't happen to have a Martha Bayliss born abt 1836 Gloucester who married Job Rea would you Bilge?
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline yvon-3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
HiTrees,
     I am not able to get to the Worcester Records office as I live in Yorkshire. That is why I put a request on here on the off chance someone might know , that lives in Hanbury.

Bilge, I take it you have the books on Hanbury ?

Yvonne