Author Topic: William Edwards - Northumberland Fusiliers 1911  (Read 2592 times)

Offline gbt100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edwards - Northumberland Fusiliers 1911
« on: Sunday 21 February 10 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would be grateful if anybody could help me with finding out more information about my great grandfather William Edwards.

From the information I have, I know that he was Lance Corporal 874 'in E' Company of 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. We know he was in India during 1906-07 and he was still in the army in 1912.

From his marriage certificate in 1913, his age was 29, giving a date of birth of 1884 +/- 1 year, providing he put his age down correctly. I have no idea of where he was born, but presumably it was in Durham or Newcastle, hence the Northumberland Fusiliers connection. His marriage was in Norfolk, and not long after we know the family moved back up to the north east.

From the 1911 census, I found an overseas military record that tied in with his presumed age however, it wasn’t for the Northumberland Fusiliers and it also wasn’t in India.

Its very frustrating not being able to find out any more - I have only managed to get back 100 years and 3 generations on that side of my tree.

Has anyone got any information that can help me or any advice as to what to do next?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Edwards - Northumberland Fusiliers 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
From his age it is likely that his 12 years enlistment would end after 1913, and therefore his papers will be with the ones for WW1. So if you cannot find them they were likely to have been destroyed during WW2. All this assumes he did not serve after 1920.

Can you say where you got the NF information – number, company etc came from? And also for the information from India? 

I suggest you concentrate on discovering when he enlisted. To do that you need an NF expert to tell you when 874 was issued. It is likely that they reached 9999 and started again at 1, rather than using five-digit numbers. You could also try and find records for other NF men on Ancestry near 874, but you must be aware that the part-time battalions of the NF would also have used that number. 

You have to bear in mind that he may have transferred to another regiment between 1906-7 and 1911. What is the location and name of the regiment from 1911?

Ken

Offline gbt100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Ken.

I have some old photogrpahs showing him in his uniform, and one of those has his Army number and regiment writeen on the back. I also have a collection of postcards from India from that time. They were never sent  - I have them in a photo album that has been passed through the family.

I also have a few photographs that are dated like this one:

I am confident that he was out of the army by 1913. On his marraige certifcate he is doen as an agricultural labourer in Norfolk.

It has crossed my mind that he may have transferred regiment at some time but unless I can find his record then I cant confirm this.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1262&iid=30850_A000495-00654&fn=W&ln=Edwards&st=r&ssrc=&pid=45926

He must have been recalled if he left as he served in France with the original BEF awarded 1914 star with clasp and roses so was under fire before Nov 22 1914 he transferred at some time to 507th Agricultural Company Labour Corps.

There are two sets of Medal Cards one has slightly different Labour Corps number but both have his original NF number.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline gbt100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Ady,

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I cant view the link as my Ancestry subscription has lapsed.

I had previously purchased the WW1 medal record from the National Archives some time ago but I never 100% sure it was him, despite his army number (874) being the same.

The record is a bit consfusing  - There is a code number next to 'Victory' and 'British', I think this relates to the medal roll. However, since I am not a military historian it doesn't make much sense to me!

Does the record on the Ancestry website tell you more? I would love too see a copy if its not too much trouble, please PM me for details.

Thanks again!