Author Topic: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents  (Read 31941 times)

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 14 November 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, fairly new to Rootschat, and have just been looking through the SIT for Wells. A cousin of mine has given me her research into our family name, John Wells m to Elizabeth Kirkpatrick is my 4 great Grandfather, through his son Thomas Wells m to Rachel McMurdo Wells and their son, William McMurdo Wells and his 2nd wife Isabella Kerr, and then my Grandfather Henry Kerr Wells. The only info we had on LaurenceWells, born aound 1790 and died 1825, was of Irish stock and is recorded as a pig farmer, so am pleased to find out a bit more of him and his parents. :)
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
We know that some of the Walls family moved to Edinburgh (John Walls and Bridget McKane, Lawrence Walls (his son) and Bridget Finnigan etc.).

I have also found that some of the family moved to Newcastle. I have found entries on Familysearch for Peter Walls and Mary Rafferty, Francis Walls and Catherine Conley and Arthur Walls and Mary McKeanna (McKenna). All had additional children in Newcastle after leaving Dumfries.

Norma
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Norma,

thats good info, but who besides john and laurence mived to Edinburgh?

I think I have Francis and Catherine dying in Dumfries due cholera but I will check

Peter Walls and Mary Raverty certainly disappeared from Dumfries. so they turned up in Newcastle? Interesting   

I have used excel to try and build a picture of the Walls people. Perhaps we can fit what we know together.

H
Wells (Walls), Kerr, McMurdo - Dumfries
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Henry/Norma,
Interesting that some of this family have appeared in Newcastle. My home town and if I can have further details...birth etc... will go to our central library  and see where they lived, children  census etc....it has a very comprehensive records of the inhabitants in books etc.

William

Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Henry/Norma,
Interesting that some of this family have appeared in Newcastle. My home town and if I can have further details...birth etc... will go to our central library  and see where they lived, children  census etc....it has a very comprehensive records of the inhabitants in books etc.

William

Hi William

Thank you for your generous offer to try and find some information. I am afraid there is not much to go on but I will tell you what I have:

Ann Walls born to Peter Walls and Mary Rafferty and christened 22 May 1843 in Newcastle
William Walls born to Peter and Mary and christened 30 Aug 1846 in Newcastle
James Walls born to Francis Walls and Catherine Conley and christened 11 July 1830 in Newcastle
Lawrence Walls born to Arthur Walls and Mary McKenna and christened 2 April 1832 in Newcastle
John McKenna born to Rose Walls and Peter(Patrick) Mckenna and christened 25 October 1830 in Newcastle.

I found this info on www.familysearch.org

I am trying to find any of these Walls parents and particularly to find out who their parents were.

Do you have Walls connections William?
Best wishes
Norma

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bluebike1 and I are cousins, so his Walls/Wells are mine. I'll take this info with me to our Central library and see what I can find.

William

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 30 January 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Francis Walls- Catherine Conley

OK so we have 

1807 Dumfries Kirk Session Michael  Walls named as father of Ann Gibsons Child
17 Dec 1826 Francis Walls and Catherine Conlin marriage CPR Dumfries
7  Oct 1827  Baptism of Mary child of Francis Walls and Catherine Campbell CPR Dmfries
11 July 1830 Birth James Walls child of Francis Walls-and Catherine Conley Newcastle (OPR or CPR?)
8   Oct 1832 Death Francis Walls Cholera CPR Dumfries
30 Oct 1832 Death Mrs Francis Walls Cholera CPR Dumfries
6  Jun 1841 Census Mary Wells and James Wells both age 10 ( i.e between 10 and 15, Live with Michael Wells (Walls)   

So assuming Catherine Conlin, Campbell and Conley are the same person

Francis could be the 1807 child of Michael a Ann
In 1826 age 19  Francis marries Catherine
In 1827 they have Mary
In 1830 they have moved to Newcastle in Dumfries aqnd have James
In 1832 they are back in Dumfries, Framcis ans Catherine die of Cholera
1841 Michael is looking after their children, his grandchildren .
1851 James is living with two of Michaels sons  Peter and a younger Francis, in Campbelltown. Not sure where Mary is

how does that sound?

H
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 31 January 14 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Francis Walls- Catherine Conley

OK so we have 

1807 Dumfries Kirk Session Michael  Walls named as father of Ann Gibsons Child
17 Dec 1826 Francis Walls and Catherine Conlin marriage CPR Dumfries
7  Oct 1827  Baptism of Mary child of Francis Walls and Catherine Campbell CPR Dmfries
11 July 1830 Birth James Walls child of Francis Walls-and Catherine Conley Newcastle (OPR or CPR?)
8   Oct 1832 Death Francis Walls Cholera CPR Dumfries
30 Oct 1832 Death Mrs Francis Walls Cholera CPR Dumfries
6  Jun 1841 Census Mary Wells and James Wells both age 10 ( i.e between 10 and 15, Live with Michael Wells (Walls)   

So assuming Catherine Conlin, Campbell and Conley are the same person

Francis could be the 1807 child of Michael a Ann
In 1826 age 19  Francis marries Catherine
In 1827 they have Mary
In 1830 they have moved to Newcastle in Dumfries aqnd have James
In 1832 they are back in Dumfries, Framcis ans Catherine die of Cholera
1841 Michael is looking after their children, his grandchildren .
1851 James is living with two of Michaels sons  Peter and a younger Francis, in Campbelltown. Not sure where Mary is

how does that sound?

H

H,

That sounds very plausible. If we find James death cert it would confirm all this. I will search for it later.

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 01 February 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Re James Wells

in 1851 the census says that James is the nephew of Peter and Francis, but it also suggests he was born in Dumfries not Newcastle. That could easliy be an error since he was very young when Francis and Catherine died. 

In 1861 I cant find Peter at 38 married to a Charlotte  ?surname? with nephew James, bizarly aged  6!  Is this a different nephew or a mistake?

Peter died in 1893. he was another Pig Dealer. I suspect he must have had an accident because he had been paralysed for 3 years.

I have these records  if anyone would like them

After 1861 we have a James Wells marrying Margaret McMurdo in 1865 age 25. This James is recorded as the son of Michael Wells and Ann Gibson. This is confusing because if 25 in 1865 he would have been born 1841. However there is no sign of his supposed mother Ann in the 1841 census or thereafter. So is this actually James son of Francis age 35 who had been looked after by Michael.

James and Margaret were married to the NNE of Dumfries in Duncow, still a vert rural area. In 1871 they have moved to Queensbury Street, same house ( next room) to the John (and Elizabeth) Wells who's parents we are looking for.  James is now a porter, as was John and John's son Thomas.

So did John find James a job and a place to live? Well since they were both originally Catholic Walls Walls they are probably related. P

James who married Margaret died in April 1891. The age given is 50, again 10 years younger than he should be assuming he was actually the son of Francis and Catherine.

I am not inclined to believe that there was a James born in 1841 to Michael and Ann. 

I am inclined to believe that Francis Walls, John Walls and Laurence Walls the Pig Dealer were all sons of Michael Walls and Ann Gibson.

Francis Walls son, James was looked after his grandfather Michael when his parents died.

Later James was looked after by his Uncle Peter Walls another Pig Dealer and, son of Michael Walls

Then he was helped by his Uncle John Walls .

I also note that if Laurence Walls the Pig Dealer's Uncle was Laurence Walls of Edinburgh.

So Michael Walls and Uncle Laurence Walls  were brothers.

So the parents of John Walls( Wells) were very probably Michael Walls and Ann Gibson

Michael Walls parents were John Walls and Bridget....

Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon