Author Topic: Parents of John MAIDMENT  (Read 3773 times)

Offline millard82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of John MAIDMENT
« on: Monday 22 February 10 04:32 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for my 3rd great grandfather John Maidment parents.

I have found a possible brother to John living in Hackensack, New Jersey, USA in 1850. His name is George Maidment, born in 1816 in Somerset, England and is married to Harriet MNU. George Maidment and his wife Harriet are found in Yeovil, Summerset in 1841 (Database online. Class: HO107; Piece 958; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Yeovil; County: Somerset; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 5; Page: 4; Line: 19; GSU roll: 474603.) If I can find about George and what happened to him I can track him back to the parents

John Maidment Sr was born 9 Apr 1826 in Yeovil, Somerset, England. He is first seen in the 1851 English Census living in Bromham, Bishops Cannings District, Wiltshire, England as a lodger at the Greyhound Inn. John’s Occupation is as a Cutler. He is found there living with Richard Stone 34 Head of Household born Bromham: occupation Innkeeper and Carpenter, Caroline Stone 29 Wife of Head, Mary Ann Stone 4 daughter, Ellen Elizabeth Stone 2 daughter, Julia Jane Stone 1 daughter, Elizabeth Weston 24 Servant, and his future wife Elizabeth Knee (born 28 May 1835, Chittoe, Wiltshire, England) 14 Servant born Wilts, Chittoe: nursemaid. John and Elizabeth were married in Bromham, Wiltshire, England. The Parish record of marriage; 30 Aug 1854, “Marriage solemnized The Church in the Parrish of Bromham, in the County of Wiltshire.” They resided at the time of marriage in Bromham, and the fathers named were; James Maidment, occupation Tanner, and John Knee, occupation Labourer. They were married by Edward B. Edgell, Rector of Bromham, witnesses were Mary Knee (Elizabeth’s sister) and Isaac Duck. A month later the couple booked passage on the Ocean Queen from London to New York captained by Robert Harper Griswold. Manifest of the Ocean Queen show, John Maidment, age 31, and Elizabeth Maidment age 20, arriving in Castle Garden, New York from London, England on October 16, 1854. (http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_search_detail.php?p_id=10816896)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John MAIDMENT
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 10 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This may be the parents

James MAIDMENT = Elizabeth WILLIAMS by banns 21 Nov 1816 St John the Baptist Yeovil. Witnesses Charles MAIDMENT and Johnathan CROCKER

But alas looking for burials in Yeovil we have a few which may be part of this marriage (or maybe not)

James MAIDMENT was buried 8 Aug 1829 St John the baptist Yeovil. He was aged 34

James MAIDMENT was buried 6 Jun 1835 St John the baptist Yeovil. He was aged 68

Elizabeth MAIDMENT was buried 30 Jan 1817 St John the baptist Yeovil. She was aged 24

Elizabeth MAIDMENT was buried 3 Dec 1831 St John the baptist Yeovil. She was aged 50

Not terribly helpful I am afraid.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 10 06:26 GMT (UK) »
aha another marriage

MAIDMENT James = Amelia STONE by banns 5 Nov 1826 St John the baptist Yeovil. witnesses Joseph GREGORY and Jonathon CROCKER 

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 10 06:35 GMT (UK) »
and another death

Amelia STONE was buried 10 Jun 1835 St John the baptist Yeovil. She was aged 31

Interesting that John is residing with Richard STONE in 1851

Offline millard82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Question; Could George Maidment be the son of James and Elizabeth Williams, and after she died, he remarried Amelia Stone and they were the parents of John?

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

That is where my suspicions lie with it but without the baptisms it is only conjecture. This Richard Stone and family from 1851, I have had no luck finding him or his family. No sign of him in Bromham in 1841 or 1861. (and I can't spot them anywhere else.)

Offline millard82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 10 00:54 GMT (UK) »
A family friend found that there was  a John Maidment b. April 9, 1822 to a James Maidment (leather shier?) and Maria Maidment in Yieovil, Somerset. Is this correct, and is there anything on James and Maria? Who is this Maria and could it be my John's parents.

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 March 10 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with any detailed knowledge of this family, but it looks as if George MAIDMENT may have married Harriet BROWN in Yeovil Registration District in the March Quarter of 1841 (Vol 10, page 839).

There are many MAIDMENT marriage in this particular website (all before 1837): http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~louisestclairrose/somerset/yeoj/index.htm

Finally, have you tried to find John in the 1841 Census? If both James and Amelia had died (does the entry below refer to Amelia STONE or - by that time - Amelia MAIDMENT?) then John would have been living with others as he was only aged 15 at the time.

Good luck with your research

Kind regards

Philip Candy