Author Topic: St. Andrews Church graveyard  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Basiclysue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Andrews Church graveyard
« on: Monday 22 February 10 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on this little church graveyard in Coatbridge?  It is located at the top of the hill on Baird St.  I believe that I have family buried there.  Thomas and William Jenkins (brothers) and others.  I have emailed St. Andrew's Church and Scotlands People and can't find record of who's buried in this little graveyard.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St. Andrews Church graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 10 19:07 GMT (UK) »
The wee churchyard you're looking for is almost always known as Gartsherrie Churchyard.

If you do a Rootschat 'Search' by using the link at the top of the page, and when you get to the search page, scroll right down to the bottom and 'uncheck' all. Go back up, enter 'Gartsherrie' as your search, check Lanarkshire and that will bring up about half a dozen threads on Gartsherrie.

Good Luck!

Anne

P.S. I had a wee look here: http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/28.pdf but there aren't any Jenkins listed

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I know this churchyard well and parts of it are in a bad state. Many of the stones have fallen and are now covered over by grass. Some are not even visible! Makes it difficult to know what the inscription, if any, says. Think that North Lanarkshire Council may be able to tell you who holds the lair numbers and names of people interred. Phone number for the office (HQ) is 01698 302222. Someone there should put you in touch with the right dept.
Hope this is helpful
Morag
Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields

Offline Basiclysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again.  I don't know what happened but it just sent by itself.  As I was saying, unfortunately, I need an email address for the Cemetery Maintenance Dept. in order to get in touch with.  I live in the US and don't have a cell phone. 
My grandmother, when she was alive, called it Old Monkland Cemetery, but described as being right at the top of Baird St.  I learned that these are 2 different cemeteries.  She described it so well that I thought I'd try this one first then try the big one. 
Thank you so much for your help!
Sincerely,
Sue

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
If you can give details with names and dates of death I will try to contact offices here who might be able to supply more information but we really need more to go.
You can send me a personal message via email here if you would rather do that. Where in the US are you?
Regards
Morag
Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields

Offline Gartag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Couldn't find an email but you can contact them online.  Firstly, Details on each church.
a picture of St Andrews
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59027146@N00/2900898193

and Old Monkland Cemetery
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/138405
Postal address:
Assistant Area Officer/Registrar
Corporate Services
183 Main Street
Coatbridge
ML5 3HH
Burial records are currently held in fireproof safes and are unavailable for inspection unless required by the lair holder. The lair holder has the right to inspect any relevant record. Lair searches can be carried out by arrangement, please note there may be a cost for this service and they may take some time to conclude. The form entitled Request for Search of Cemetery Records should be completed and submitted to the cemetery administration office. The cemetery administration office can be contacted using the 'cemeteries' contact details on the right of the page.

There is an online form to contact them here:
http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7374#cn12345
Main Stream:- Gregory, Bridgwater, Dazely.
Tributaries:- Broomhead, Warner, Eyre.
Areas: UK- Derbyshire 1750-1900, Manchester 1900- now,
        India- Jubblepore, Kirkee, Lucknow. (Bridgwater/Dazely 1890-1925)

Offline Basiclysue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again.  You would do that for me?  I'm happily surprised!  These are notes that my mom made years ago.  Richard Lester, Mary Ann Jenkins Lester, Thomas and William Jenkins all lived at 8 or 9 Baird St.  My great grand parents, Richard and Mary Ann Lester, immigrated to the US in 1906.  They are buried here.  Richard was born in 1846 and Mary Ann in 1868.  I believe that Thomas and William along with a Mary Wood & Elizabeth Jamison (possible siblings to Mary Ann) were all buried before she immigrated. 
As you can see, the information I have is very sketchy.  That's why I was looking for the monuments.  To get exact dates of birth and death.
I live in the Albany, New York area.  I volunteer and take pictures of monuments through Random Acts Of Genealogical Kindness.org  If I can return this favor, please let me know. 
Sincerely,
Sue
PS Sorry I didn't see any link to or email address.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Have a look here: http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7357

This should take you to the page with all the contact details, including an e-mail address and at the foot of the page there is an online? section (I didn't proceed with filling in the form, so I'm presuming it's an online one).

Gartsherrie Churchyard & Old Monkland are 2 completely different places, so perhaps you have ancestors/relations in both of them?

Have you followed the family through Census Returns? By doing that, it would narrow down dates of death.

Also, if you register with Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (although it costs to view or download any birth, marriage or death certificates,) you could carry out some basic searches which are free, again this would narrow down dates.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I decided to have a wee peep (Scotland's People) to see if could find anything ..........

Jenkins deaths in Coatbridge (or Old Monkland Middle District) between 1855 - 1906

There was only 1 Thomas:
Thomas Eneas Jenkins died in 1881 and was either a child under 1 year old or his age wasn't recorded. (Listed as 0 years)

There were 7 Williams:
William Jenkins died 1862 (no age listed)
William Jenkins died 1871 age 40
William Jenkins died 1872 age 26
William Jenkins died 1880 age 2
William Jenkins died 1897 (age either between 0 - 1 or no age listed)
William Jenkins died 1905 age 4,
William Butler Jenkins died 1897 age 24

There were 4 Marys:
Mary Jenkins (other name Smith) died 1856 age 41
Mary Jenkins (other name Griffiths, mother's maiden name Morgan) died 1861 age 30
Mary Jenkins died 1892 age 14
Mary Jenkins died 1894 (age either between 0 - 1, or nor age listed)

There were 3 Elizabeths:
Elizabeth Jenkins died 1880 age 2
Elizabeth Jenkins (other name Kirkwood) died 1887 age 55
Elizabeth Jenkins (other names Coulter, McIlroy) died 1905 age 72

Any of them look like prospective candidates?

Anne