Author Topic: COMPLETED.Burial places/Edinburgh  (Read 4286 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED.Burial places/Edinburgh
« on: Monday 22 February 10 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a couple of burial places in Edinburgh.

One for 1942 and the other 1945. The 1942 died at the Eastern General, Leith. The 1945  died at the Cty Hospital, Edinburgh.

I've already checked Mortonhall (without success). Have also phone several Private cemeteries. Any other suggestions. ???

Cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial places/Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 10 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Cupcake,
Have you tried FHS to obtain a list of Graveyards.   Any idea if Catholic or non conformist., church of Scotland, Presbyterian etc. Or you could try Grey Friars, or Eastgate, Rosemount.
Problem is some are now out of commission if thats a phrase you can use for graveyards.
Have a look at the help board there are probably links you can use to connect you kto the information you want.

Grey Friars you can link to through the internet and tkhey have a secretary who you can contact with an email address and/or telephone no.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 00:39 GMT (UK) »
If they were Roman Catholic you should try Mount Vernon Cemetery.

Otherwise have you tried Edinburgh Crematorium Ltd who run Seafield and Warriston?

You may well have seen this already but it's a good list of resources.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/080k/

Have you tried searching for obituaries or funeral notices in the papers?

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »

Hello Kirsty,

I am sure they weren't Catholic.

Yes I have phoned , Edinburgh Eastern - Mouunt Vernon - Seafield Cemetery. The only one I can't seem to get a reply from is Dean Cemetery.

Lastly, I have tried the newspapers for obituaries, too.

Tahnk you.

Cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 10:48 GMT (UK) »

Hello Marcie,

Not sure if I have contacted FHS (not sure what this means).

As I said to Kirsty, I have tried many cemeteries in Edinburgh. It seems they died a distance apart, one in Leith the other in Morningside.

Would have been good to find where buried :(. Will look at Grey friars link.

Cupcake

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cupcake.
FHS is Family History Society.  I believe there is one in Edinburgh and in Glasgow as well as the reference libraries for the GRO (births, marriages and deaths)  There are also MI searches you can perform.  Only just getting to grips with this myself.  Family History Societies do books which have helpful lists.
I managed to pick one up in Alford for free.  Some societies charge a small fee for the book, some do not.  Inside they have lists of areas and you can tick the box of the information you are interested in, copy it off (Photo copy it) or scan it if they give you an email address.  and post it off
off to them with your payment which is generally noted alongside the info you are wanting and they will send it.  Or if they can, sometimes they will help you find what you want.  There are loads of different ways of doing this. 
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
MI is (forgive me if you already know this) is for burial searches.  which you can do from Rootschat. If you go to the Scottish boards there is a section for links and you should find a link for Edinburgh for your MI searches.

There are quite a few churches in Edinburgh,  loads in fact.  Like in khouses when they are first kbuilt they are given a plot no and then an address.  Lairs/graves are given a no. kwhich represents a grid and then a stone no/ or reference no. so that if there are problems of any kkind when someone is refering to flooding, sinkage or damage they know exactly what they are talking about for remedial work etc.
If you are not sure, someone will help.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cupcake

What newspapers have you checked? While most people don't have obituaries as such, there would usually be an announcement of the death with information about the funeral.  If you have not been able to access the two Edinburgh Evening newpapers, I will have a look at these if you can give the names and dates of death.

Jessie

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

Thank you for your kind offer but, I have been in touch with the Edinburgh Room and they have checked the Scotsman and evening papers.

Cupcake