Author Topic: Brothers George and Arthur (Roy) McLean  (Read 1916 times)

Offline holly129

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brothers George and Arthur (Roy) McLean
« on: Monday 22 February 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on brothers George William, and Arthur Roy McLean, born about 1877 and 1878 probably Litchfield, Pontiac, Quebec.  1881 census at Portage du Fort and Lower Litchfield, Pontiac, Quebec. Mother Elizabeth McLean, widow. They are aged 4 and 3 respectively. On 1901 census they are still at Litchfield, Pontiac,  there mother is Elizabeth Stewart, widow again, They are aged 24 and 23 years. On the 1901 census the mother has had three daughters with the Stewart surname.
Bloodworth (Helpston, Northants), McKay (Swinton, Berwickshire, Edinburgh. Lincs, Notts) Curran (Coldstream, Inverness, Edinburgh), Young (Edinburgh), Sinclair (Edinburgh)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Brothers George and Arthur (Roy) McLean
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I provided you with a link to the 1891 census database in one of your other threads. There is a household in Portage Du Fort headed by William and Elizabeth Stewart. George and Roy are listed with the Stewart surname and there are three daughters, Nettie, Lilly and Jenny also listed.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline holly129

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks very much, I have just this minute come across the Stewart family, what a coincidence. Thanks for the link - it is brilliant
Bloodworth (Helpston, Northants), McKay (Swinton, Berwickshire, Edinburgh. Lincs, Notts) Curran (Coldstream, Inverness, Edinburgh), Young (Edinburgh), Sinclair (Edinburgh)

Offline pennysanftenberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 06:29 BST (UK) »
I know the Stewarts from Portage du Fort...my family has been there for centuries and some still live in the village. I can be emailed at (*). I could possibly forward your email to one of the Stewart kids, she may have more info...well, she's 50, now...not quite a kid. ;) I came across your post while looking for info on my Great Grandmother, Catherine MClean...she was married to Samuel Fraser and lived in Starks Corners, she had my Grandfather, Beecher, in 1901.  I heard she was aboriginal Canadian...I have her watering can from the farm...any info on her would be most appreciated. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
The moderators will remove your email (protects you from spamming).  If you added a reply to this thread stating you were going to start your own thread to search for information on Catherine and then opened up your own query it gives you 3 posts and with that you can use the PM (private messaging system - scroll button that turns green when you're online) and you can directly contact the author of this thread.  It also keeps this thread open on one line of query instead of trying to investigate 2 different families.

Because your family on the 1911 census is listed as being born in Quebec we might find out something from the Drouin records for you.  As it stands it looks like her heritage is Scottish.

Debbie

Offline pennysanftenberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Cosmac...can you tell, I'm green! I will now attempt open up a thread on Catherine. If the original poster wants more info on the Stewarts, reply and I will attempt to contact my friend who's a Stewart from Portage du Fort.