Author Topic: Writing Up the Family History  (Read 15472 times)

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Up the Family History
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nugget,
saying about the goings on in whitechapel at that time has given me an idea that id like to share. im going to onto some history sites that have historical timelines, print it out or copy the image and write in where various members of the family are. It gives you a good overview I think.
Also, like you, ive not typed all my little tidbits in, but have started to now. Quite a lot of genealogy programs have a place for notes for each person. eg highlight the person, click edit, then enter any notes. if it covers more than one person, just copy over,
Roofy
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline nugget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Roofy, and gazania, I like your ideas about using timelines. Might try and see if I can use something like that too.
I’ve started using the notes a little bit more and I found it useful that I can attach notes to families as well as individuals. Been using Brother’s Keeper FHS but I’m tinkering around with Family Historian at the moment which seems to allow me to have a ‘general’ note record and link (attach?) a number of people to it. Still feeling my way around there but it may be useful for more general historical items.

Now I just need to retire so I can find the time to do all of this  ;)

Richard

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 April 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
I just had a word count tonight, my word count is about 10,500 so far, still plenty more to do: I've got a couple of 3000+ word articles, the rest are about 1000 each.
I've found writing the small pieces rewarding as it's easy to see the completed article and it can be approached in short bursts - I got another one done over the last few nights, now I'll leave it for a while until I've decided who to do next.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 00:14 BST (UK) »
Writing up your family history shouldn't be just a dream.  ;)

I have co-written one and am on my second one.   Both entirely different in style and structure.
The first - standard dates and names and general information.  I enjoyed writing it and am very proud of what I achieved.
The second, the one I am working on now, is more of a fancy for me.  I am doing it in the form of a novel.  But I make it clear that I have allowed myself the freedom of using my imagination and that relevant source notes are provided at the back of the book.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 00:30 BST (UK) »
That's great Margaret.  :)

Your right it shouldn't just be a dream, i have put so much effort into getting all the facts together I should start putting into some semblence of order.
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk