Author Topic: Winterscales in Sligo  (Read 1859 times)

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winterscales in Sligo
« on: Tuesday 23 February 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

I am helping a retired cousin of mine research his family history, and I am looking for information on the 19th Century family of Winterscale in Sligo.

John Winterscale, surgeon with the Highland Light Infantry and Royal North British Dragoons, from 1809 to 1847, and present at the Battle of Waterloo, is stated by his military records to have been born in Sligo in 1788.  He died in 1858 in Edinburgh, and his death certificate states his father to be James Winterscale, London proprietor, and his mother to be Elizabeth Davis.  His will dated 1850 leaves legacies to his mother and to two sisters (Miss Elizabeth Winterscale and Mrs Mary Davis), all of Sligo, but a codicil in 1757 refers to his mother as having pre-deceased him.

There is a James Winterscale buried in St Johns Union parish in Sligo on 29 Jun 1841 aged 75 who could be his father.  The only other two references I have found to James Winterscale are in Hansard for February 1838 where a James Winterscale is recorded as one of three signatories to a petition about the result of the Sligo Borough election; and in Pigot's Directory for 1824 where a James Winterscale Esq. Sligo is listed as one of 24 Commissioners for the Improvement of the Town and Bay of Sligo.  This suggests that he could of been a person of some standing in the community.

I wonder if anyone might have any have any further information on the Winterscales of Sligo?

Regards,

David Robertson,
Lincolnshire.