Author Topic: Family TAYLOR from Deepfield - COMPLETED  (Read 12165 times)

Offline Geraldo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family TAYLOR living in/at Deepfield(s)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Folk on this Forum (Wozzle in particular) have been very helpful indeed.  My thanks to all concerned for their useful suggestions.

There seems little doubt that the "Emily TAYLOR" who appears on the 1901 census and shown as a lodger at 5 Pasley Street, Devonport (born Preston Candover, Hampshire, given age 21) is my grand-mother.

I thought it strange she did not appear on the 1901 census (as Emily MILLS) as resident in her own family home - particularly as her eventual partner, John TAYLOR was! (such subterfuge)

It now seems likely to me that Emily (who untruthfully declared herself as "married") had probably left home by this stage, and to avert suspicion that she was 'involved' with John (junior) her eventual partner, she took refuge with John (junior's) father (another John. given age 40) who at that time was himself lodging at (of all places, Devonport)

To date I have been unable to verify their migration from the UK (which almost certainly was in 1901) but enquiries in this regard continue.  Access to the 1911 census would seem to be the next logical step because I believe by this date the couple with their 4 children, would have been back in the UK.

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
you say they may be back in this country by 1911
if you give me the names of the 4 children who you believe may have come back to england by 1911 and their ages if known
i might be able to help you locate them in 1911
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline Geraldo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 February 10 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I am now 100% certain that grand-mother Emily and her daughter (my mother Gwendoline May) WERE back in England by 1911.

They may have been accompanied by the 3 sons of John & Emily's (my mother's brothers) also.  Regret I do not have their dates of birth except that of my mother - Gwendoline May, who was born (in Simon's Town SA, on 01/05/1907.  Brother's names:-

William, Arthur and Jack were probably born in S/Africa too, but I am far from certain about that.   

I know the sons were placed with Barnardo's.  For sure William and Arthur were eventually shipped to America and Canada respectively; Jack was eventually accepted into the boy's service of the Royal Navy.

Looking forward in anticipation of any other developments.     

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 February 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Geraldo,
To make up for going completly off track before, I think I've found them on the 1911 census, but it's not as Emily Taylor:

Highfield, Westmeon, Petersfield, Hants
Joseph Mills,  Head .Married  M 60 b. 1851 Dairy  Preston Candover Hants: Farmer
Harriet Mills, Wife. Married 38 years F 63 b. 1848  Old Alresford Hants
Emily Martha Mills, Daughter Single F 30 b. 1881 Preston Candover Hants: Dairy 
Ernest Daniel Mills, Son Single M 23 b.1888 Exton Hants Work On Farm 
Gwendoline May Parker, Granddaughter  F 11 b. 1900  Exton Hants
Gwendoline May Mills, Granddaughter  F 3 b. 1908  Simons Town S Africa

The reference to follow this up is RG14PN6155 RG78PN287 RD104 SD2 ED5 SN165

If following this up please be aware that in the site I used to search BOTH Gwendoline Mays have been transcribed as Parker, but on the original document your mother's surname is clearly written as Mills.    Gwendoline May must mean something to the family to have two granddaughters both christened the same (unless Emily was homesick in SA and decided to name your mother after her cousin)

Emily  is single, certainly isn't using the name Taylor, and that is entirely understandable given your family story. You may wish to follow this up and look at the certificate yourself, I think you'd find it worthwhile because although there's nothing else on it I haven't written here I think that just seeing the 1911 images in what must be your great-grandfather's own hand is always special.  Good luck
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 10 15:27 GMT (UK) »
well done maggie saves me looking for them
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline Geraldo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 February 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Please add 'Maggie' to my "Strawberry List" of favourite people! A fabulous discovery for me - thanks so much - but first a question - how, please, do I activate the reference number you have given me? 

I would love to view a scan of the original document!

Gwendoline May Parker (to whom your refer) was the daughter of 'Sis' Parker (Emily's sister, who had 2 brothers also)  Yes, there were two 'Gwendoline May's as you observed. My mother was called just 'May' to avoid confusion which she neatly changed herself to 'Mae' after she married my father (Walter West in 1934) just so that people would ask: "Are you by chance any relation to THE Mae West?  (That was my mother I'm afraid - sorry.)  Gwendoline Parker ('Gwen') was a true angel on earth - everyone loved her to bits.

As of today, I have no idea what happened to (naughty old) grandfather John.  My search carries on, however,  assisted by the likes of the generous people who participate in this Forum.

Best wishes,
Geraldo.

Offline Geraldo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 February 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
After all my waffle in recent days you have cheerfully tolerated, I thought you may like to see a photo of Emily.  Unfortunately it is not dated, but it was obviously taken after her return to England. 

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 February 10 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be of help Geraldo, and thanks for posting the picture, that's lovely.   I think we all find when one gets caught up in someone else's search the people become very real, and it's really nice to see their faces.
I've sent you a PM as to how to access the record I found.
I'm glad you are finding this forum useful, - I've had nothing but help since I joined and if my experience is anything to go by it won't be long before you are passing on the favours by helping some of us.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 February 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
think this is emilys homecoming
mrs emily mills housewife travelling without husband
miss may mills
arrived in southampton from durban south africa on the 13th may 1909 aboard the "avondale castle"
they travelled 3rd class
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn