Author Topic: Repair of this photo please  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Repair of this photo please
« on: Saturday 19 March 05 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have been trying to repair the attached photo and am not having much success. Have played around and am able to fix to boards on the house but  my problem is the tear .... do not know the best way to move the two parts so that they line up better. Unfortunately i do not have the original so I am unable to rescan it and line the two halves up better.

Thought this photo was going to be an easy one to start with until i started and saw the gap.

Any suggestions please....

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How to repair an old photograph?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 05 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow Jaki, that's a challange. So small. Ted and I will give it our best shot. Do you have a larger file size version or is that it? Here's a quick fix. It's a hard thing when their so small.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Repair of this photo please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 05 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki,
Deadants is right, its a challenge.  Might I ask if what happened to the little girls head?  It appears someone has been trying to do some work on and around her head, if it was yourself do you have a scan before the head was altered?
Ted
Bye the way deadants, good start.
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadants

Did you use the clone brush for that?

Can't see any brushwork  - when I blow mine up you can see the touching up!

Cheers
Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 05 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
     I used clone stamp, Healing brush and a few judicious cut and paste with a bit of rotating to get the right angles of the sleeve and arm. Unfortunately, their is not enough digital data to play with. Hopefully Jaki has a larger version.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 05 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Could it be that the "wee-un" moved her head during the exposure time of the photograph - or perhaps had blonde hair, so merged into the background?
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 05 23:00 GMT (UK) »

Healing Brush??

Daren't ask - what's another name for that in PSP?

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 05 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Could it be that the "wee-un" moved her head during the exposure time of the photograph

Whichever it was, it's a shame as their's nothing their to work with.

Ah, the healing brush! This is one of photoshop's new features. I'm not sure PSP has these advanced tools.

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 March 05 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hey Trystan, 1000 posts.  Woohooo