Author Topic: Repair of this photo please  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Repair of this photo please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 March 05 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Didn't expect this much of a response ... lol

What i posted is cropped from the original scan that i was sent. The house that they are standing in front of is their home in New Lambton near Newcastle NSW.

A cousin sent me the scan and i am not sure if he has the original photo to get a higher quality scan.

Moving from left to right the people are my great aunt Mary Grace Shipp, an unknown child, Elizabeth Reaveley (my great grandmother) unknown child. This is the information that was sent with the photo.

I don't know if any one has tried to do a repair on this photo before. I was working on another copy of it until i noticed how far out it was.

Was using an Arcsoft program called Photo Studio to work on it .... but have decided to buy a different program when funds allow it.

Will see if i can attach the original scan here

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 March 05 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Have just been re-reading the posts .... got a bit carried away the first time and missed bits and pieces.

The two children in the photo i believe are related to me but there is no one left who is able to identify who they are.

The sad thing about all of this is that until i started this research last year no one on that side of the family were aware that my father had married and had kids..... he didn't marry until he was in his 30s..... and I didn't know that i had relatives that were living only a few suburbs away as i wasn't aware of how many siblings my grandfather had ....

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 March 05 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki,
     You don't know the address of this house do you? My brother lives in New Lambton. It certainly looks like some of the miners cottages that are still scattered throughout the suburb. By the look of that picket fence she was doing it tough.
      You can see by the roof gutter that the left side need to come up a little. If this photo was taken around 1900 the cottage would probably be 50 or 60 years old at that time. This could have come from a glass plate negative. Note the thumb print on the left. Also the corrugated roof seens to fade to a uniform grey.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 March 05 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I take it your a Novocastrian then. I lived in Merewether untill 1993 when I moved to Port Stephens.

Deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 March 05 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Have just pulled out the original email that had the photo attached and it says that the address is Elder St Lambton ....

I also have a photo of her second husband Cuthbert Reavely outside his grocer shop in the same street.

Been meaning to go in there and have a look around but keep getting side tracked.

Jaki

PS I live out near the F3 and work up in the Port Stephens area.

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 March 05 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadants

The photo looks much better than what it did. The repairs you have done look better than my effort.

Jaki

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 March 05 05:55 GMT (UK) »
I would of had a crack at colorizing it but I think that would take away it's charm. Here's a sepia. What do you think

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 March 05 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I also have a photo of her second husband Cuthbert Reavely outside his grocer shop in the same street.

Is ths the photo Of the grocer shop in Elder St? http://203.12.147.218/isysquery/irlec6/1/doc

deadants

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 March 05 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadants

The sepia tone photo looks great, in my opinion it looks better than the original. Thanks for all your work on the photo

Had a look at the link and it doesn't look like Cuthbert's shop in the photo. Although reading the notes for the photo I noticed the name John Reavley Bell. Need to go through some bits of paper but the name Bell pops up on my paternal grandmother's side. Now just need to figure out if he was given the name Reavley in recognition of Cuthbert or one of the Bell's married into my paternal grandfather's family. This is getting so confusing .....

Have attached a photo of Cuthbert Reavley and a Mr Sheedy outside the grocer shop. Cuthbert is on the right. It looks like one of those corner shops that used to be on nearly every corner.

Jaki