Author Topic: British military history data and records  (Read 18563 times)

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British military history data and records
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
It is York England, 2 dragoon units garrisoned the city in this period. I need to know if there were any other units there too please? Dates 1775-6 Thanks.

Yea The 16th Queen Light Dragoons were stationed there before the moved to America in 1776 i also found this link http://orbat.com/site/uk_orbats/files/6/The%20British%20Army%201775.pdf that gives every regiment location 1775-1783.But i will check again and have the information for you by Friday.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, at Kew tomorrow (Thursday) so just in time.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rac1473

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 30 March 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles

Would it be possible for you to tell me where the 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment were stationed,
from about 1920 till 1942

Many thanks

Roy

Offline Shesaknitter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles!  I recently got the name of my great-great grandfather, born in Scotland, from someone I met on one of these forums.  She had actually posted years ago about this man, happening to mention in her post the name of my great grandmother, who was his daughter.  This contact was trying to find out what had happened to those daughters because she and her sister had been left in Bermuda by their father when he was widowered.  They were Bermudians, as was their mother.

Your kind offer to assist with researching information about those who were in the British military caught my eye and I am writing to find out more, if that is possible.

My contact (who has stopped communicating with me, apparently, and regrettably - maybe she is just having computer problems or got busy) mentioned that his military records, which she did find in the national archive at Kew, revealed a lot about his personality.  I would love to see what is in those records, but since I don't think I'll be getting them from her, and don't think I'll be getting to the U.K. again any time soon, perhaps you could help me with finding more, please?

Here is what I have so far:  Arthur Ernest Campbell. Royal artillary muster records for him were found (again, by this contact, who is his great grand-daughter) at The National Archives in Kew, London; he was a Bombardier, Royal Artillery, he was born in Killiecrankie, Scotland in 1846 or 1850; he worked as a photographer later in life (I don't know if that provides any clues about what he did in the military; he was stationed in Bermuda for a long time.  He married a Bermudian and they had two daughters, one of whom was my mother's paternal grandmother. His father's first name might have been Samuel but that is not certain.

Arthur may have gone to Bermuda c1870 probably with the British Merchant Navy (leaving from Portmouth) or he was a bombardier in the Royal Artillery...not sure which, nor do I know the difference, but those two branches (if they are even separate branches) have been mentioned in connection with his military career.

I am a librarian and have great research skills, but nothing beats being in the country where the research is conducted (and I've also just expanded my research efforts online) so if you can help in any way (including pointing me in the right direction or directions for more information related to this ancestor), I would really appreciate it so much!

It is 3:30 a.m. here so I'm off to get some sleep, but I hope that you can help me. 

Many thanks,

Deborah

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 30 March 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
Went to Kew yesterday, located the likely unit which I believe my ancestor enlisted in; 9th Dragoons which was in Dorset (Sherbourne) in 1774 and 1775 and York in 1776. They were recruiting in Dorset, only problem officers' names only in the muster roll.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)