Author Topic: Born 1879 in Clapham: but where's the proof?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Born 1879 in Clapham: but where's the proof?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 10 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Madeleine  :), and thank you for your information.  I think Isabel was a name given to a number of Mildmay girls and I think I read somewhere that St. Barts was regarded as the Mildmay family church in London.  I had hoped to find some clue to the Isabel(la) I'm looking from among it's records but nothing so far!

Since my previous postings looking for Isabel(la)s roots has become even more curious:

Her 1900 marriage certificate gives her father as "Clement Mildmay (deceased)".  I have only found one Mildmay male with the name "Clement" and he was the one born in Frankfurt between 1849-54, which would make him the right sort of age to be Isabel(la)s father.  I have since found entries for a Clement Mildmay in Australian street directories 1901-1907 for Perth.  This Clement Mildmay resides in a private hotel: the "Star & Garter" on Gooderich Street.  He moves to a large house in Waterloo Crescent in 1905-1907 and then disappears from the record again.

Was Isabel(la)s mother deserted by Clement Mildmay around 1900 for a life in Australia?  And did this cause her daughter to dismiss him as "deceased" on her marriage certificate?

The birth certificate for Isabel Montagu discussed previously is straightforward: 

22 Dec. 1878, name Isabel, father William Montagu (a Bankers Clerk), mother Isabel Montagu formerly Anderson of 9 Castle Street East.

The only notable things are that the birth was registered on 22 March 1879 - the full 3 months after the birth that the law allows, and that William Montagu worked in a bank.  I believe there was some connection between the Mildmays and the Montagus and that the Montagus owned a bank.  So perhaps Mr Montagu worked in the family concern - perhaps a distant family connection of the banking side he was given a junior role?

I admit to being tempted by the idea that the Frankfurt-born Clement Mildmay and the German-born William Montagu are one and the same person.  And I can find no evidence (in the GRO index, on Scotland's People or in the foreign returns available on FindMyPast) that a man of either name married Isabel Anderson!

Any more thoughts, anyone?!

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 March 10 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, going back to basics: what was her address at marriage and who were the witnesses on the certificate?

You might try looking for wills for the Mildmays; e.g. for Edmund Clement Walters St John Mildmay who died in 1881.
There's an Isabella Mary Mildmay aged 39 who dies in 1895 (Christchurch district) on freebmd - could this be her mother?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 April 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry to take to long so respond, Jorose.

On 6 January 1900 Isabel Montague St. John Mildmay married George Henry Stevens by Licence at St. Barnabas Church, Battersea.  Isabel was 21 and residing at 69 Lavender Sweep (the road still exists). No occupation, of course.  The witnesses were Florence Blun(k/l/t?)ish and Edith Walker.  I am sure these ladies were not related to the Stevens side and have not come across these surnames before, so I think they were probably friends.

Yes, I think the death of Isabella Mary Mildmay in Christchurch might well be her mother as that is the registration district where they were resident in the 1891 census.  I shall order that certificate and see if it sheds any light on the matter.

I shall try to look for a will though I have not had much luck tracing wills thus far.

Thank you  :).

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
For wills post 1858:
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Florence might be Florence Arnold (m. Sep 1884 possibly to Francis Charles A. Bluntish, Wandsworth, he may have died 1892 (freebmd has him as "88" but there is a birth in 1853 so either this is way off or the 1853 birth and the 1892 death are not the same man) In 1901, she is in Croydon, a corset shop manager, b. Belgravis (Belgravia?) London.

(I was hoping she'd be nee Anderson or something! Edith of course could be just about anybody).
Probably you're right and they're just friends or neighbours.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ClaireElizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 February 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh this is really exciting.
I've found my Great Grand Mother's Will. Cecil Francis St John Mildmay (St JM) of Thornby Grange Northampton. (Married to Walter Harvey St JM). She left the silver with 'Mildmay Bouveries of Spring Rice Crests' to the Late Isabel Lady St JM, well, the son-in-law Colonel Michael Wallington.
What fun!

Offline ClaireElizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 February 13 23:03 GMT (UK) »
and here is all the bits
http://www.thepeerage.com/p3510.htm#i35092

There is a twist of course!
I can't quite owrk it all out - as the surnames are swapping, and then there is adoption and living in the same area.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 February 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, ClaireElizabeth:

Thanks for your post - however, I'm unsure that this is the line I'm looking for.  I will have more chance to have a proper look later and hope I'm wrong.  All these Isabel(la)s and various St John Mildmay lines do make life confusing!

Regards

Rachel