Author Topic: 1911 Census  (Read 8180 times)

Offline Vogel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 Census
« on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found my ancestors on the 1911 Census (John Harlow, Anne Harlow, Patrick Harlow and Teresa Harlow).  However, it does not have an adress only 'house number 11 in Fairymount'.  Is there any way that I could find out where they lived exactly?
Many thanks

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
hi,,just wodered if you had them in the 1901  census also?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »

had a look,,,no further info given re address----

Fairymount Kilgefin Ballintober South Roscommon Household

Harlow Michael(68) farmer Anne(55)-Teresa(27)-Patrick(25)-John(23)-Bridget(21)-Lizzie(18)-Joseph(12) 
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I have found my ancestors on the 1911 Census (John Harlow, Anne Harlow, Patrick Harlow and Teresa Harlow).  However, it does not have an adress only 'house number 11 in Fairymount'.  Is there any way that I could find out where they lived exactly?
Many thanks

Fairymount townland is about 10km  north east of Roscommon town - you can see the location on google maps : Roscommon town to Fairymount townland

If their ancestors lived on the same land you may find them on Griffith's Valuation  The website has maps available of the townlands with site numbers marked, which correspond to the details in the valuation.

The townland is marked on the OSI maps see : Fairymount, Co. Roscommon (select the Historic or Historic BW option)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Vogel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's all I can find on the 1901 census as well, very frustrating!  I will have a look at Griffiths and see if I can find anything there.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Townlands did not have address numbers the same as cities...the number mentioned on the census forms is basically for the enumerator to keep track. Sometimes on smaller townlands where the property boundaries did not change much since Griffiths these census site numbers may correspond with the site numbers used on Griffiths, and enable you to locate the relevant land.

Another way to track the exact plot of land would be to look at the Land Valuation books (books for most counties are in the Valuation Office in Dublin). These consist of a series of books which trace the change in ownership of plot of land over time from Griffth's up to more modern times (sometimes up to the 1970s or 80s up to )..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Electronically scanned copies of the actual Griffith's Valuations maps for County Roscommon are held at the Valuation Office Dublin http://www.valoff.ie/ The cost is €25.39, plus postage. Also available at the Valuations Office are Valuation maps regularly updated to match the changes of ownership or tenancy.
When ordering Valuation Office maps you need to provide complete information on the place, townland name, Civil parish and county. It helps to give the sheet numbers listed in Griffith's Valuation. Be aware that some plots are on the edge of maps and you will need to purchase more than one sheet.
The maps are worth it. They are extremely detailed with a scale of six-inches to one-mile. Every house, cart track, ancient ruin, etc. is shown in addition to the outline of each plot. The maps are about 30 x 40 inches wide. It is the combination of Griffith's Valuation Records and the maps that give Irish genealogists a gift that almost no one else has. As a reward for putting up with all the hard work and frustration in Irish research you can see on the map exactly where your ancestors were living from the 1850s. You might find when you go to Ireland that the house is gone, but you can still see where it stood. (Note that Griffith's Valuation maps marked with plot numbers are not available outside Ireland.) http://www.valoff.ie.
For Free County Roscommon databases on line visit
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51430
For explanation of terms used in Irish research visit http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Notes.pdf
To find the LDS film number of persons who occupied land in Fairymont townland visit
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf
JPH “Top 10” tips: Tip 9 of 10.  Realise that most people did not live in villages or towns. In earlier days in Ireland there were houses everywhere, as there is today. It was/is a town planner's nightmare. In the mid 1850s only 8 percent of Co. Roscommon houses were located in towns or villages.