Author Topic: Bank Top Boys Home  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Top Boys Home
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 March 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I've now had a reply from The Watt Library and it does sound like Major Bonar's Home may not have been Bank Top House, The Library said:

"Thank you for your recent enquiry to The Watt Library.  Bank Top House was also known as The Working Boys' Home and was a home for "Destitute and Homeless working lads over 14".  The Home first appears in the Greenock Post Office Directory in 1876/77 and was then at 5 Bogle Street.  It was begun in connection with the Greenock Working Boys' and Girls' Religious Society who held meetings in the Society's committee rooms at 46 Cathcart Street and Mission Hall, Broad Close.

I believe this is different from the Industrial Schools, these were more like homes for wayward  boys or boys who had been in trouble and were sent there by the Sheriff.

Unfortunately, this library does not hold any records for the Home, they may not have survived.  You might try The Mitchell Library in Glasgow or The National Archives in Edinburgh."

Alistair

Offline malcjoy44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 April 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
hi --
      I have just found 3 of the bonar boys an industrial school in greenock.
father is in lodgings and mother annie in another institution in greenock.
major dan bonar was a lifelong friend of my husband's parents--he was a lovely man and really did well in the army--considering his poor start in life.
 i have obtained a transcript of major bonar's oral history about the home
from the mclean museum-----very interesting.
it describes the day to day life in the home.
some boys were there for crimes but dan and his brothers were there as their mother was an alcoholic and their father was working so couldn't look after
them-----from joyce.

Offline Chloejane4

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 October 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
It was at 15 Bank Street, my grandfather was also there. I am trying to find out more about it also