Author Topic: Mormon emigrants Halifax to Nebraska  (Read 9232 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Mormon emigrants Halifax to Nebraska
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree - the 1924 death in Halifax. UK looks dubious. The Wabash Obituary Index names both John and Anna and the details fit great. 
John 5 Sept 1924 Age 74 years
Anna 17 July 1935 age 82 years

;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne: In case you don't have this: The deaths of Phineas (1928) and Sara Jane Tempest (1931) in Rexburg, Idaho are recorded on the FamilySearchPilot website--in the Idaho Death Certificates, 1911-1937 database. You won't images of the certificates, but there are transcriptions.

Entering "Tempest" in the search box of the Idaho Death Records brings up ten names, including Phineas and Sara Jane (with their parents' names) and the names of their children Robert and Louisa (married an Anderson), who come up as the parents (confirmed by place of birth) on the death records of two of Phineas and Sara Jane's grandchildren, an unnamed male Tempest (died 1915) and Ola Pheneus Anderson (died 1919).

Regards,
John  :o :o :o

ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John - I've been finding the FamilySearch pilot site invaluable for the very small number of my relatives who emigrated to the USA.

I'd really like to have Ancestry world wide for a bit, but can't really justify it.  I'm very impressed with what the pilot site has now though. I've also found quite a lot of stuff on Find a Grave, including photos of Phineas/Phineus and other relatives of his.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
You can also find the marriages of several of the children of Phineas and Sara Tempest in the Western States Marriage Record Index, here:

http://abish.byui.edu/specialCollections/westernStates/search.cfm

Search All States and All Counties, for both Bride and Groom

Daughter Sarah A. (if this is their daughter) seems to have married in northern Utah.  

You'll also see that Phineas and Sara seem to have married each other again in 1888, also in Utah! Unless they had never married until then? Or an LDS marriage?

John  :o :o :o

SCOTLAND

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that the Idaho Death Index shows that Ida Mae Tempest, born, 2 Feb 1881 and daughter of Alfred and Jospehine Tempest, died in 1943 in Worley, Idaho, which is a small town on the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation in Kootenai County, way up north, near Spokane, Washington.

John  :o :o :o

SCOTLAND

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've seen that rather puzzling second marriage. It seems to have been around the time their children were getting married - I wonder if they had doubts about the legality of their first marriage if it was just a Mormon one.

I have a date and source for the first marriage - 27 Sep Nebraska City - from a very interesting book online at Brigham Young University. It's called The Pioneers of the Upper Snake River Valley, and includes quite long sections on the life and times of Phineus Tempest, Sarah Jane (Wilson) Tempest, and their daughter Louisa Caroline Tempest Anderson. Well worth a look if you are interested.

Sarah A is indeed their daughter. She is Sarah Amelia, and Phineas had spent a short time in Logan in 1882, "lathing" the temple. He kept in contact afterwards.

One of the most interesting branches of my family definitely, and the Snake River Valley  book was a real find!

Anne

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Ida Mae information, I had missed that one. Alfred and Josephine are buried at Waverley cemetery, Spokane, along with three of their children, Ida May, James Lewis, and George Alfred.

Anne

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 February 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've seen that rather puzzling second marriage. It seems to have been around the time their children were getting married - I wonder if they had doubts about the legality of their first marriage if it was just a Mormon one.

I have a date and source for the first marriage - 27 Sep Nebraska City - from a very interesting book online at Brigham Young University. It's called The Pioneers of the Upper Snake River Valley, and includes quite long sections on the life and times of Phineus Tempest, Sarah Jane (Wilson) Tempest, and their daughter Louisa Caroline Tempest Anderson. Well worth a look if you are interested.

Sarah A is indeed their daughter. She is Sarah Amelia, and Phineas had spent a short time in Logan in 1882, "lathing" the temple. He kept in contact afterwards.

One of the most interesting branches of my family definitely, and the Snake River Valley  book was a real find!

Anne

Hi Anne: You're right Phineas and Sarah might have been concerned about their marriage and so might have decided to do it again.

I searched the BYU website for the book, but can't find it. I keep getting books called "Pioneer irrigation, Upper Snake River Valley" and "James Whaley Webster, Upper Snake River Valley Pioneer." Let me know where you found it if you can.

I'd  be interested in seeing the book because I have half-cousins going back to the 1820s and 1830s in Scotland (from the second marriage of my 3x great grandfather) who became Mormons and emigrated to Utah in 1856. Sons of one of my full relatives joined them in the 1890s.

My direct connection to these half-cousins, a 2x great grandmother, seems to have been the first to convert, in 1845. But she remained in Scotland when her stepmother and three half-siblings left.

Some of these half-cousins settled where Utah and Idaho meet and even spent some time in Idaho.

John   :o :o :o

SCOTLAND

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 February 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

If you just google "Upper Snake River Valley" I think you should find it.

According to my family history history programme Phineas is my second cousin 3 times removed. Are your Mormon ancestors also from the Halifax area? Looks like an intereresting bit of research for someone.

Anne