Author Topic: 1841 Bawtry - TINKER or TINKLER please; COMPLETED  (Read 2201 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1841 Bawtry - TINKER or TINKLER please; COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 20 March 05 04:02 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful - if anyone has the 1841 Census for Bawtry (border of WRY and NTT) - for a lookup for TINKER or TINKLER.

I would be hoping to find at least a John TINK(L)ER aged about 63 (which should be rounded down to 60) and a Joseph TINK(L)ER aged about 22 - and I am optimistic that there might be some more TINK(L)ERs there.

John seems to have witnessed his daughter's marriage in Bawtry in 1823 and to have died there in 1843.  His son Joseph had children in Bawtry in the 1850s.

Many thanks if anyone can help.

J

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Bawtry - TINKER or TINKLER please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one.  I am doing a bit of housekeeping work on this board and wondered if you have made any progress, or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Ticker,

Thanks for the message.

No, I haven't had any response on this.  So I suppose the post might as well stay on the board just in case?   I could always order in the relevant film to the local LDS FHC, I guess, but perhaps I'll just be patient until Ancestry does the 1841 when I'll be able to look it up there ...

John TINK(L)ER is my Gggg-gfather.  I don't think that any further information would help as Bawtry wasn't a very big place (population ca 1000 back then) so I guess it just depends whether any RootsChatter happens to have (or to have access to) the 1841 census for Bawtry.  And if anyone does have it, I'm also interested in the name FREEMAN in Bawtry (e.g. William FREEMAN, shoemaker/cordwainer who is in the 1834 Pigot's Directory and was still there in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, and his widow in the 1871).

Regards,

JAP

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Jap

1841 Census Bawtry HO107/1330/8
page 10b
Wharf Street
John Tinkler  60  Groom
Elen      "       65
Harriet Freeman  13
Harriet Aldam 8

page 15b Low Street
George Freeman 15 apprentice rope maker to Thomas Shilitoe 25.
Still looking for William

All born in County
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 12:23 BST (UK) »
Ticker, many thanks for bringing my request up to the top of the list.

Oly, what can I say!!  You are a gem!

Fantastic information!  John's occupation and county of origin!  He fits with my John TINK(L)ER (the spellings seem to be interchangeable) who died in Bawtry in 1863 (should have been 1843!) age 65.

The wife's name (Ellen) is right too.

And in such a small place there's no doubt they are mine.

I have assumed that John is my ancestor, and also his wife's name, from a wonderful Dade Register entry from Finningley, Notts for the birth of their daughter Hannah TINKER as follows:
1803, Hannah - under 'Father's Name Abode, Profession and Descent' it lists "John Tinker of Finningley, Labourer Son of Samuel Tinker of Bentley Labourer by Ann Daughter of"; under Mother's Name and Descent' it lists "Helen Daughter of Robert Walker of Corthourn Shoe-maker by Ann Daughter of" .  The IGI has a marriage for John TINKER and Ellen WALKER in Rossington in 1802.

John and Ellen's daughter, Hannah TINK(L)ER married George FREEMAN in Bawtry in 1823 (George & Hannah my Ggggparents).  By 1841, George and Hannah were living in Sheffield.  However, Harriet FREEMAN, 15, whom you've found with John and 'Elen' TINKER, is surely a granddaughter of John & Ellen i.e. daughter of my Hannah TINKER and George FREEMAN; she was b ca 1827 in Sheffield.

ALDAM doesn't ring a bell - I'll look into it.

I have a candidate for George FREEMAN, apprentice rope maker; he is perhaps a son of the first marriage of the William FREEMAN I was looking for - William probably a brother of my George FREEMAN who married Hannah TINKER.  My candidate for George was born in Mansfield, Notts - but I guess with a border town like Bawtry things could get a bit confused.

The William FREEMAN (cordwainer in Bawtry) I was looking for was b 1798 in East Retford, Notts.  His first marriage was say 1820 and he had a William 1821 in East Retford (who also went on to be a cordwainer in Bawtry) and a George 1824 in Mansfield (perhaps the apprentice ropemaker).  William snr then married Sophia WHITE and, by 1841, had had - in Bawtry - Edwin 1826, Dinah 1838 (named after the first wife!) and Ann Elizabeth 1840.

Many many thanks, Oly!

JAP

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 06 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Jap

I have looked at my copy of Bawtry and reading the Superintendant Registrars description of the two parts i.e. East and West of the North Road it would appear to be complete, but another Chatter on the board is looking for a William Broughton in Bawtry, all clues say he should be there, I cant find him, I have this feeling that I do not have all Bawtry. As you comment Bawtry is a County border town I wonder If there is a bit of it in the Notts 1841, I do not have the Notts 1841 census pages.
When I go into the Area Archives I will Check the registers.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 02:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Oly,

You are very kind!

I guess that the people in the area themselves were not very concerned with which county they formally belonged to - and many places seemed to be split between two counties.  (From the censuses I've just been looking at it seems that people are variously recorded in different censuses with same town/village of birth but with county varying between Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire.)

With that in mind, I've found a candidate for Harriet ALDAM (who also turns out to be a granddaughter of John and 'Elen'):
Harriet ALDHAM, bap 2 Feb 1833, Gainsborough Lincolnshire (Gainsborough is split between Notts and Lincs), parents Jonathan ALDHAM and Sarah.
And the marriage of her parents - Jonathan ALDHAM m Sarah Ann TINKLER, 25 Dec 1824, Rossington Yorkshire.

So I looked in the 1851 census for Sarah, born Finningley, ca 1807 (knowing that John and Ellen had a Sarah at that place and date) - a Sarah KIRK in West Stockwith Notts (in the Gainsborough registration district) seemed a possibility; sure enough, in the household there was also a Jane ADLAM ALDAM aged 11.  It seems that Jonathan died 1839, Sarah had a pre-nuptial child Frederick in 1842 (registered as ADLAM ALDAM, recorded in the 1851 census as Frederick Adlam KIRK) with John KIRK, then married John in 1845, and went on to have Joseph ca 1849.  John and Sarah are also in the 1861 and 1871 censuses, then the widowed Sarah in 1881, and she dies in 1882.

So your census information has led me to all sorts of finds.

Many thanks again,

JAP 

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 04:40 BST (UK) »
Bwtry as never been in Nottighamshie it as always bee a part of the West Riding, however some of the local government administration purposes such as census lis iut under both.  Jap would be interested in where you get the figure of only 1000 people from for 1841.  Bawtry as always been a bustling town right from medieval times when it was a port.

Finningley is also in the WRY but like Bawtry for some local government reasons gets classed as in Nottinghamshire.

The Shillitoe surname is one that appears a lot in Doncaster.  I am surprised though that someone would marry at Rossingtom when living at Bawtry, it has to be some 4 miles away Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 05:29 BST (UK) »
Bwtry as never been in Nottighamshie it as always bee a part of the West Riding, however some of the local government administration purposes such as census lis iut under both.  Jap would be interested in where you get the figure of only 1000 people from for 1841.  Bawtry as always been a bustling town right from medieval times when it was a port.

Finningley is also in the WRY but like Bawtry for some local government reasons gets classed as in Nottinghamshire.

The Shillitoe surname is one that appears a lot in Doncaster.  I am surprised though that someone would marry at Rossingtom when living at Bawtry, it has to be some 4 miles away Rob

The approximate population for Bawtry (highlighted in the quotes below) comes from:

* Genuki in the Yorkshire, West Riding section, under the heading of 'The Ancient Parish of Blythe' where it is described as transcribed information from the early 1820s:
"BAWTRY, a market-town, in the parish of Blythe, (Notts.) lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seat of the Dowager Viscountess, Galway) 5¼ miles from Barnby Moor Inn, (Notts.) 9 from Doncaster, and 9 from Retford, (Notts.) 12 from Gainsborough (Linc.) 14 from Thorne, 20 from Sheffield, 46 from York, 156 from London. Market, Thursday, (formerly on the Wednesday) Fairs, Thursday in Whitsun Week, and old Martinmas Day, for horses, horned cattle, sheep, and pedlary. Principal Inn, the Crown. Pop. 1,027. The Church is a perpetual curacy under Blythe, dedicated to St. Nicholas, in the deanry of Retford.
Bawtry, situated upon the site of the Roman, road from Agelocum to Danum, stands at the very extremity of the county, (a portion of it being in Nottinghamshire,) and on the great north road from London to Edinburgh. It contains nothing of particular interest, except the elegant mansion of the Dowager Viscountess Galway, which is situated at the southern extremity of the town."

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Blythe/index.html

and

* a quote ascribed to John Bartholomew's 1887 'Gazetter of the British Isles':
"Bawtry, eccl. dist., township, and market town with ry. sta., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 8 miles SE. of Doncaster -- eccl. dist., pop. 1262; township, 259 ac., pop. 911; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Thursday."
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=11535

Sarah Ann TINK(L)ER's  parents were married in Rossington in 1802.  Her own birth and baptism in 1807 are recorded in Finningley; some of her younger siblings were recorded in Rossington (the youngest in 1819).  I have no idea where she was living at the time of her marriage.  She was married in Rossington in 1824.

JAP