Author Topic: Margaret RICHARDSON - Wellington?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
  • A McPoland by name but a Downing by heart!
    • View Profile
Margaret RICHARDSON - Wellington?
« on: Thursday 25 February 10 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find my Great Grandmother Margaret Richardson who lived in Kings street, Wellington, Shropshire when she gave birth to my Nan Dorothy Ricahrdson on 27th April 1908.
Margaret is listed as 'Domestic Servant Housekeeper' on the Birth Cert and that is ALL the info i have on her! I sent away for my Nan's BC to find her Fathers details are not given and this info about her Mother. My Nan was in Wellington Workhouse until aged 13 and no other details are known.
I cannot find either of them on the 1911 census, and there is ONE Margaret Richardson on the 1901 census in Shropshire which may well be her.
ANY help or info you can give me on Margaret Richardson would be greatly appreciated as me and my Sister have been searching for her for ages without success.
Thank you and kind regards.
Downing, Mills, Powell (Staffs). Richardson (Shrops), McClory, McPoland (Antrim/Down - NI), Mills (Sydney, Australia), Atkinson (Westmorland), Kelly (Killarney, Ire and Staffs)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret RICHARDSON - Wellington?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If there is no father on the birth certificate, that will almost def. mean that she was illegitimate. My next step would be to look for a baptism. If you don't know how to proceed with that, you will need to source the parish registers for the two churches in Wellington. You can find them at Shropshire Archives:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:cJXLuZkJgE4J:www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf/viewAttachments/SDAS-7ZXJNZ/%24file/parish-registers.pdf+parish+registers+shropshire+archives&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgxjALtY2LDuHSs3FmKW0zKEnIqCBjGLBgklkSUhsfIXwMZy3jw3IC08zFh7-60PVnYvj6pUvFDqqYxnPX6WRjk4rvaITSmIVn_Q5ukR0DVNzbR90N8tBiaEby0Cd2FF8Ev079I&sig=AHIEtbTq4BDDRFAYDWpHIfxfWn_3xUZ18Q

The latter doesn't extend to the birth of your nan, so if you can't find her in one you will need to contact the church directley to get the cert.

I would look many years after the birth as she may have been baptised in alter life.

My next stop would be to get any workhouse records.

Next stop would be local court records to see if there is any mention of upkeep being sought for the child.

As your g-grandmother was a servant, I would see if you can find out where she was working at the time. If her child was illegitimate, the father would likely be a servant or one of the residents.

Finding other descendants may also be useful.

David