Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57840 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Penrose aka Penros
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 14:37 BST (UK) »
I searched the Spanish Wikipedia, and Bretana is Brittany (Britain is Gran Bretana).

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Markund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
This is a link to a pretty good genealogy resource, that has piqued my interest:

http://horwitzfam.org/getperson.php?personID=I17621&tree=Complete

All the best

Chris

PS I still want to contact more rellies.

Yes, it's an interesting link but gives no information about my ancestor. Thank you anyway.

Offline Perran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 03 November 06 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Chris / Julie

I have just seen this site! I did much research on Penroses years ago, and have a fair amount of material. For those of you who are Redruth, my records go back to Richard c.1625-1691 m. Jone/Joan. Wd certainly like to hear from you.

(Although it may be the case, I am not convinced that Penvose and Penrose are the same - they mean very different things in Kernewek, and are distinct geographical names: still there is much room for misprints!!!)

Not sure if you all follow this site still as I see the postings are old, but

Kind regards
Perran Penrose (Liskeard)
Penrose, Pedlar

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 03 November 06 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Perran

Welcome to the debate! I tend to agree with the Penvose identity as separate from Penrose, although the writing in some parish registers and censuses do look like each other. I have separately invited contributions from descendants of Bennett Penrose such as yourself, and am in regular contact with one lady in California as well as in the UK.

One snippet for you is that the French coastal town of Perros-Guirec in Brittany used to be called "Penros". One of these decades I might get around to going over there!

All the best

Chris
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline Perran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 03 November 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Chris

I know Brittany well and visit several times a year.

I note you recommend the vast horwitzfam site. I think it is based on the inaccurate Salt Lake City Penrose records, many of which I don't think are properly verified. Eg I am descended directly from John Penrose bp 1673 m Jane Richards, son of John and Constance Bawden, but on that site John is a dead end - there is a will, and documentary evidence. If I recall they mixed up a Richard and a John at some point... But I am fascinated by all the pre-parish records conjectures - where is the evidence for them?

I don't see clearly the line from Bennett but that is something I would like to see evidence of! My earliest evidence is Richard who is buried in Redruth 9/8/1691 (m Jone/Joan).

I would certainly like to discuss your documentation and would be very happy to share mine - my missing parts are the later Tavistock connections, which is frustrating as Tavistock is next door, so I need to get to work on that!

Which part of the tribe to you come from?

Regards - Perran
Penrose, Pedlar

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 04 November 06 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I have since decided that the horwitz site has too many inaccuracies. There are people married to the wrong spouses, inappropriate relationships, plain mistakes and so on.

Someone still living is shown as being the daughter of her only slightly-older brother. All is not what it seems.

In comparison with those who normally contact me from overseas you are in the enviable position of being IN Cornwall. I can only get down from Leeds twice a year at best.

So I would advise a visit to the Family History Society base in Victoria Square, Truro, followed by the Cornwall Record Office (near the train station) for wills and parish registers.

All the best

Chris
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline Perran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 20 November 06 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I also have Penrose ancestors from Cornwall. Arthur Penrose, baptised 1777 in Redruth, left Cornwall just after 1804 to move to Tavistock in Devon. One of his sons (my gg grandfather), also called Arthur, was baptised there in 1816 and by 1841 had moved to London. Would love to swap Penrose ancestry with anyone.
Gillian from Berkshire

Dear Gillian

I am not sure if you received (or if I actually sent) a reply to your email of over a year ago. Your Arthur b 1777 is my gg grandfather, and the Penrose family tree is very skimpy on the Tavistock side. Would love to hear from you... Kind regards, Perran Penrose (Liskeard)
Penrose, Pedlar

Offline brissygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 17 June 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia. Is this thread still active - last post I can find is from 2005. I just joined RootsChat today.

I am researching Penrose & Polglase from Cornwall. My Penroses are from St Agnes area, though there are a few hiccups of recent times. They are:

Thomas Penrose married Margaret(t) Tippit 13 Aug 1791 at St Agnes, nr Truro
Children:
Edward Penrose c 9 Jun 1793, mar Jenifer Julian 10 Nov 1824
Esther Penrose c 19 Oct 1794
Mary Penrose c 16 Oct 1796, mar Benjamin Chivell 26 Feb 1832
Thomas Penrose b 12 Nov 1798, c 10 Mar 1799, mar Elizabeth Rowe 10 Nov 1824
William Penrose c 19 Feb 1804, mar Maria Reed 31 Aug 1834
John Penrose c 9 Feb 1806, mar Mary Ann Paull 24 Jan 1831

Edward's children:
Edward c 13 Nov 1825 mar Louisa ...
Thomas c 15 Aug 1829
John c 26 Jun 1831 mar Jane Martin (1851) and / or Philippa Polglase ????
Elizabeth c 29 Jul 1832 never married
Peggy c 18 Jun 1837
Mary??? 1845? (remotely possibly part of the family)

Dilemma - did John marry Jane Martin from St Agnes? Did John die, or did he desert Jane and eventually marry Philippa Polglase from Breage/Germoe? My grandfather's parents were John Penrose from St Agnes and Philippa Polglase from Breage/Germoe, born 21 Jul 1840. Cannot find a marriage record. First child was born in Swansea, Wales in 1877.

I have been tracing the John Penrose listed above for about 10 years after doing a genealogy course where the lecturer helped me find him. I believed her when she said this was the right one - she was a well-known genealogist with her own genealogy library and newspaper column. Just a month ago I discovered this John appears to have married a Jane Martin in 1851. They are unmarried, each living with their parents, in 1851. They are married in 1851. They are together with a family in 1861 at Blowing House, Mithian, Perranzabuloe, Truro-Cornwall. In 1871 Jane is in Barkle Shop, Mithian, St Agnes, Cornwall (where her parents lived), listed as head of house, widowed, and with her children. One of her daughters is living with a Paull family, and John's Uncle John married a Mary Paull, so there is a further connection here.

Common sense says this has been the wrong John Penrose all along, and I have wasted many years of intermittent research. BUT, there is a 'scandal story' in the family that Philippa Polglase, who is still single at 31 and living with her sister Elizabeth Roberts in 1871 in Lancashire where they moved to work, was a school teacher who ran off with a travelling minstrel. So ... is it the wrong John, or did he desert Jane, meet up with Philippa, marry her and have 4 children. In 1881 John & Philippa Penrose are in Swansea with two children Charles 3 and Frederick 1. Later they moved to Cardiff and had 2 more sons Joseph and Richard. Frederick was my grandfather, and I am still in touch with descendents of Richard and Joseph. But ... we are STUCK.

If it is the wrong John, I have quite a bit of information for anyone tracing that Penrose line, including the 1825 Edward's family. Elizabeth never married and lived with her mother Jenifer in the St Agnes/Perranzabuloe area.

If anyone can shed any light on the above dilemma, or is tracing the same Penrose line, or has a Penrose line with a Philippa Polglase marrying into it, I would be most grateful for you to contact me.

Thanks for any help.
Brissygal

PENROSE - Cornwall to Wales (Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham) to England (Nottingham) to Ireland (Portadown) to Australia (Melbourne, Mackay, Roma)
POLGLASE - Breage/Germoe & Camborne Cornwall to Lancashire (shown as Philip A Paleflase in Ancestry.com but can see it is Philippa Polglase on original) - Dalton in Furness) to Wales (Swansea, Cardiff)
BASTIAN - Breage/Germoe, Cornwall
GILBERT - Breage/Germoe, Cornwall
JULIAN - Constantine

Offline Lyfsabeech

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS
« Reply #44 on: Monday 15 October 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth Penrose born in Penrose Methly in Cornwall in 1429.  She married a 12th great grand-uncle of mine, Laurence Tremayne, born about 1425.  Any help?