Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57833 times)

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS
« Reply #45 on: Monday 15 October 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
What would you like to know?

All the best

Chris Penrose
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 15 October 07 22:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Brissygal

There is a marriage record on FreeBMD for John PENROSE and Jane MARTIN marrying in the Sep quarter of 1851 Volume 9 Page 341. This is the information you quote to our General Register Office to obtain a marriage certificate. I cannot see a marriage between a John Penrose and anyone called POLGLAZE/POLGLASE.

The only Philippa POLGLAZE I can find married Richard Thomas GILBERT in 1878.

The surname of the Philippa that John PENROSE of Swansea married was PASCOE, and they married in St Austell Sep Quarter Volume 5c Page 182 (Source FreeBMD).

Of course, there is information being added to the net all the time, and we all also get a bit better as time moves on - well, before we become senile, that is!

This is for starters.

I want to know what happened to the other Philippa and whether she stayed with Richard GILBERT. etc etc

All the best

Chris

Offline brissygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 13:32 BST (UK) »

There is a marriage record on FreeBMD for John PENROSE and Jane MARTIN marrying in the Sep quarter of 1851 Volume 9 Page 341. This is the information you quote to our General Register Office to obtain a marriage certificate. I cannot see a marriage between a John Penrose and anyone called POLGLAZE/POLGLASE. Already have that info. His wife lists herself as a widow in 1871 - did he really die, or did he run away with Philippa?   :o   :o

The only Philippa POLGLAZE I can find married Richard Thomas GILBERT in 1878.

The surname of the Philippa that John PENROSE of Swansea married was PASCOE, and they married in St Austell Sep Quarter Volume 5c Page 182 (Source FreeBMD). What year is this marriage.  ??? My grandfather Frederick George Penrose, John's 2nd son - his birth certificate states mother as Philippa Penrose, formerly Polglase. :)

Thanks for your help - we'll just have to keep looking.  :P

Brissygal
   8)

PENROSE - Cornwall to Wales (Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham) to England (Nottingham) to Ireland (Portadown) to Australia (Melbourne, Mackay, Roma)
POLGLASE - Breage/Germoe & Camborne Cornwall to Lancashire (shown as Philip A Paleflase in Ancestry.com but can see it is Philippa Polglase on original) - Dalton in Furness) to Wales (Swansea, Cardiff)
BASTIAN - Breage/Germoe, Cornwall
GILBERT - Breage/Germoe, Cornwall
JULIAN - Constantine

Offline Penrose-Hodgson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,I dont know if you are interested,but I am a direct descendent of Richard Penrose born circa 1625 (according to my records,place unknown).Married Jone/Joan circa 1645 (again place unknown).Buried 9th August 1691 at Redruth.Jone/Joan died 11th April 1681.I believe that Richard & Jone had six (known) children....John Bp 2.5.1647.Married Constance Bawden 9.10.1666.Buried 8.5.1696.Constance was buried 4.1.1715....Richard Bp 23.12.1649.Married 1st wife Elizabeth Opie (daughter od Peter & Christian) 17.10.1671 at Redruth.Married 2nd wife Elizabeth Michell 22.9.1685 at Mylor.Richard was buried 21.6.1702....Thomas Bp 1651.Buried 23.5.1658...Elizabeth Bp 9.3.1654....Thomas Born 23.5.1658.Bp 29.5.1658...Elizabeth Born 2.1.1660.Bp 4.1.1650.
Richard & Jone/Joan are my 8th great grandparents.John & Constance bawden my 7th. John & Jane Richards my 6th. Richard & Rebecca Wrench my 5th.Richard & Catherine Christoe my 4th.John & Mary Williams my 3rd.William & Catherine Richards my 2nd.William left Cornwall during the decline of the mining industry and moved to Swansea.He was an assayer.He married Catherine Richards,daughter of Richard Richards. My g,g,grandfather William Penrose was born at Redruth and Bp there 1820.
I have alot more names/dates and Penrose family history if you require any of it.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Penrose
« Reply #49 on: Monday 29 December 08 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Richard's father was William PENROSE of Merther, and was the only brother of William from whom I am descended.

As his father was born, lived, and died there, it is safe to say that Richard was born there too. I know from parish registers that my descendant was.

I have a copy of the information given to the Cornish Family History Society which confirms all of your data.

Some day I will retire and pursue the William line myself, as no-one seems to have done this so far, at least as far as the CFHS knows.

Happy New Year!

Regards

Chris

Offline Lee Penrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,

I  have just started looking at my Penrose ancestory and I think I may be a distant cousin to you.

In one of your earlier emails you mentioned that your family descends as follows:

"Ronald John, Frederick John, Frederick, Joseph, Joseph, Joseph, William, Jeptha, William, Joseph, William"

My father is Howard Penrose, my grandfather is Reginald and my great grandfather is William (married to Mary Hurd. I then like you go through the Josephs to William so I guess we share the same great great grandfather.

I would be very interested to learn more about my ancestory and so far have only really been able to get to Joseph Penrose married to Ann Pascoe through the internet (mainly the census) but have nothing concrete from then onwards. As I live on the Isle of Man (where my parents and brother also live) I can't get to Cornwall easily to do any research, but I would value and information you may be willing to share. I look forward to making your acquaintance.

Best wishes, Lee Penrose

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 26 November 09 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

I'll ask my father tonight about what he remembers of his Grandfather Penrose's family. I know where Frederick was buried because the Cornish relatives go there to Perranzabaloe to tend to the grave.

Later then.

Regards

Chris

Offline Lee Penrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 26 November 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris,

I do appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you. From my internet research I'm having difficulty tracing back from Jeptha (Jehptha as in his marriage to Susanne) to William and beyond. I can't locate a date of birth for Jeptha or further details of his children particularly his son William. Going backwards I also can't find details of Jeptha's father, William and then the Joseph and the other Willam that you have mentioned in your email. Is this something you could help with? How far have you been able to go back yourself?

Best wishes, Lee

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Decendents of William Penrose of Merther
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 26 November 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
With some work at the Cornwall Record Office, Truro Library, the Cornwall Family History Society (of which I am a member) and various internet resources, I got back to William Penrose of Merther. He was the son of Bennett Penrose who is mentioned on the Herald's Visitations of Cornwall (as updated by Lt Col Julian).

The trees shown take you right back to Philip de Penros - mentioned at the beginning of this topic.

Jeptha is shown on the LDS website as a Female - Jeptha, or Jephtha, was a Judge of Israel who promises God he will sacrifice of the first person coming out of his house. This was one thing I checked out at the CRO.

His mother was Elizabeth (misspelt!), father William c. 9th May 1676 at St Clements.

I spoke with my Dad, who had a conversation recently with a cousin who remarked on how little they knew about their Great-Uncles and Aunts.

This is a link to an area conservation document which includes my Great-Great Grandfather Joseph's house: http://www.historic-cornwall.org.uk/csus/towns/truro/CSUS_Truro_CA4.pdf

The website is www.familysearch.org, and there are also Church records accessible through the GENUKI PROJECT, e.g. for where Jeptha was born, Google GENUKI ST CLEMENT.

Have a look. There's lots of stuff on there.

Regards

Chris