Author Topic: Ancestry heading for meltdown?  (Read 4124 times)

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry heading for meltdown?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Well, you can click on the original image on the record and access the GRO page for yourself...and maybe scroll along to the next/previous image to find your ancestor if there has been a spelling mistake in transcription. Would that help?

The index pages on www.freebmd.org.uk are obviously running behind the new 1916-2005 BMD INDEX on ancestry.com as we are all genuine volunteers and strive very hard to transcribe exactly as seen.... but for as far as we have gone,  these records have been transcribed as correctly as humanly possible. They are also double entered and corrections admitted where a true mis transcription has occurred.

I really don't have an idea though how the records on FREEBMD have been copied over to ancestry.co.uk though, sorry.

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
No what I actually meant was names not recorded on the index which may have been registered locally. I have a death at Doncaster in 1890 J.W.Luffham which is a non existant surname, but is sufficient like a name I am researching ,Luffman , who I know were resident in the general area at the time of the death. The deceased was 3 months old, and his birth does not seem to have been registered either.
Found this while browsing a register of deaths in Doncaster Infirmary compiled by the hospital. Moral: Never browse, it courts trouble!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know what you mean! I had an issue where I was looking for and never found a 'Scriven' entry on the GRO Index.....only for me to finally come across it on a local index similar to the Cheshire BMD Index, where it was correctly transcribed.

On the GRO Index it was transcribed as 'Scruen'   ??? Ah well.....

So, no, sorry, I don't know of any way to find those missing from or wrong  on  the GRO Index unless someone has posted a postem or an alternative.

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 February 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Looks as though my only recourse is a visit to Doncaster Registry Office, and try to persuade the registrar.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry is still good though and is a growing site. It is one of the most popular sites and it has helped me immensely in my family tree research.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:34 GMT (UK) »
[.Nice little earner if you can get it.  ???
The banks run a direct debit guarantee scheme.  Which allows you to reclaim the direct debit through them at times you think something is wrong.  But if it is proven that the company taking the dd was kcorrect to do so, you have to repay it.

It takes 2 days to get to your kaccount, not sure if its cleared funds.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
It could be the site just needs some technical maintenance.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 March 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder about that Marcie.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 March 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I see they've added
a newly released online England, Alien Arrivals Collection  give you a whole new opportunity to search for your ancestors through the 650,000 names listed as arriving in the UK from ports around the world – but mainly Europe - between 1794 and 1921.
so maybe that's what's been causing the recent problems.

I had a quick look and if you knew the name of your ancestor, then you could probably find his/her arrival in the UK.  Unfortunately, just putting in a name, which is all I have, brought up so many possibilities that I'm no better off than I was before.

Lizzie