Author Topic: Ancestry heading for meltdown?  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry heading for meltdown?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
[

Two years ago they put my renewal through on a card that had expired 9 months previously  ::)

Out of interest what happened then?
I don't have a tree on Ancestry though some of my stuff has been plagarised and is on the site. If that got lost I think it would serve the plagarist right, but I am sympathetic to the genuine researchers who would also lose trees.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
[

Two years ago they put my renewal through on a card that had expired 9 months previously  ::)

I don't have a tree on Ancestry though some of my stuff has been plagarised and is on the site. If that got lost I think it would serve the plagarist right, but I am sympathetic to the genuine researchers who would also lose trees.

I didn't take it up with Ancestry as in one way I was relieved it had renewed - I didn't use that card a great deal, and had never thought to update the details, and I did want the sub renewed. I did take it up with the credit card company as I saw them as being more in the wrong than Ancestry for making the payment on an outdated card, and they told me that where an up to date card was in force, and records showed the payment was likely to be a renewal of a non-monthly subscription, they would normally make the payment to avoid inconveniencing the customer. They took the view that if I didn't want the subscription renewed it was my responsibility to tell Ancestry, and not assume they wouldn't make a payment 'just because the card was out of date and no longer valid". Wasn't happy and told them so  ;)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
If that's how they go on with credit and debit cards, then it's no surprise to me that they have managed to wreck the international banking system between them!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 February 10 22:42 GMT (UK) »
[

I didn't take it up with Ancestry as in one way I was relieved it had renewed - I didn't use that card a great deal, and had never thought to update the details, and I did want the sub renewed. I did take it up with the credit card company as I saw them as being more in the wrong than Ancestry for making the payment on an outdated card, and they told me that where an up to date card was in force, and records showed the payment was likely to be a renewal of a non-monthly subscription, they would normally make the payment to avoid inconveniencing the customer. They took the view that if I didn't want the subscription renewed it was my responsibility to tell Ancestry, and not assume they wouldn't make a payment 'just because the card was out of date and no longer valid". Wasn't happy and told them so  ;)

The best way to make sure that a card is never used for payment again is to phone the credit card company and report it as compromised, and that you will no longer be responsible for payments made from it.  Compromised usually means that someone has overheard you giving its details.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Not Ancestry, but a company I used to deal with tried to take a payment from an out of date card and the card company rang me straight away to ask if I had authorised the payment.  I hadn't and it seemed it was someone in the company trying to get money fraudulently.  Presumably all the credit card companies that don't check payments just let them through.  Nice little earner if you can get it.  ???

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 February 10 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry does need to sort itself out a bit as it keep playing up.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 February 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
[.  Nice little earner if you can get it.  ???
£278Billion so far plus bonus and counting Lizzie.

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 February 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Well I am still a very happy ancestry.co.uk user and much prefer it to all the others.

I have gained so much info from this site and help from other members' trees - and no, I have not 'stolen' any! I find it very useful to compare and exchange data and discuss discrepancies when they arise. I have had the odd one just taking all my info, but although it was mildly annoying, it did not bother me too much.

I have found communication with the site friendly and efficient and as to the search engine and improvements,  I think we have to take the occasional blip in the operations in our stride as improvements are being made.

The fully searchable complete BMD index to 2005 and the London records are really fantastic and useful.

For me, ancestry is still the best!

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 February 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Scriv, Sounds potentially interesting, but I have flogged the BMD index to its limits, and feel I cannot take it any further due to its own inherent faults. Does the index as shown on Ancestry have any features enabling access to local registration registers thus removing at least one layer of potential error?