Author Topic: Help - John LEVIS  (Read 17521 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Help - John LEVIS
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
They're in the right age range - wonder why they haven't been rounded down.

Do you have a reference for this one?

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:11 GMT (UK) »
HO107 piece 452 folio 9/10 pages 13 and 14.

A******* has Holme as being in Hertfordshire!!  Therefore in the index they give Robert's birthplace as Hertfordshire.  It is clearly Huntingdonshire on the description.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Selina, I'm with you in that getting your head around this one is quite complicated.
If I'm keeping up (and I may not be) it looks as if you have identified a Rachel, who was previously possibly married to John Levis, as shown up on the 1841 census, and (possible son) John is living around there as well, age 17.
Only problem - and please correct me if I have lost the plot - is that according to Dave's original details the second son John born in 1820 would be 21, and even considering the usual rounding up, would he be recorded as 17?
As far as I can see what we have for definite so far is that Dave says he is descended from Reuben, but we have nothing yet to connect Reuben to John or Rachel as their son  Have I got that right or have I missed a bit?
If the Levis all come from Huntingdonshire, and Dave you seem certain they do, there could be more than one branch. 
It's a bit like the monkey jumping out of the hole, isn't it..    I wish it was in Scotland, at least Reuben's parents would be on his death certificate! ???

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Found it now, thanks.  I am at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to local geography as I live over 200 miles north!

It seems that this could be the missing Robert and Rachel - particularly with John Levis living with Robert.  I wonder if it was just one of those quirks of census night that Rachel just happened to be away from home - though not very far.

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Would it be worth trying to get a look up at the local records office for Reuben and/or siblings baptisms just to confirm that parents were John and Rachel.  Or has this already been done?

C

Offline dave192

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to cause you all a headache.  I am greatful for all the work you are doing, one thing to remeber that the Levis family seem to like kids, this died out with my greatgrand farther.  I have restarted the trend with 7 kids.  The other thing I have noticed is that the third son is normaly named after his farther. Agian thank you to you all. :)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Dave,
family naming patterns are really useful.   If it is normal in the Levis / Levice family for the third son to be named after his father, does that mean that the first is named after one grandfather (perhaps paternal?) and the second after the other grandfather?
It would be odd to have a naming pattern that only started with No 3 and if so that means the first and second sons would give a clue to the grandparents. 
In the case of Reuben and his brothers that would give us Thomas followed by Charles, which might be a pointer to older records?
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline dave192

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ignore my last post about naming I got my wires crossed.  Let me explain.

1. John - Rachel

There third son was called John died as infant.  Their 6th child was named John and their 7th Reuben (ggg granddad)

2. Reuben - Mary Taylor

Their second son 6th child was named Reuben (gg granddad) and their 4th son 9th child was called John.  Their 3 son 8th child was called Aaron.

3. Reuben - Hannah Ardron

Their first son 1st child was named Aaron (great granddad), second son 2nd child was called Reuben and their fourth son 4th child was John.

My great grand children were one boy and two girls. Then son my granddad was called William Arthur and he named one of his twin boys with the same name, my uncle.

Sorry for the mis info tied, was up at 4 with the youngest and not got back to bed yet.

Hope this helps

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 February 10 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Good spot Selina! So the 1841 says that Rachel was born in Hunts, although that part of the 1841 is often inaccurate. The youngest Overstall child was only 3 days old. Possibly Rachel was some kind of nurse.

Cutting through all the extraneous stuff on naming patterns, the tradition was that the first son was named after his paternal grandfather, the second his maternal grandfather, and the third his father.

Dave - have you checked the baptisms of the various children with Sawtry parish register, or just taken them from other peoples' trees? There are two parishes which make up Sawtry - St Andrew and All Saints. St Andrew has been transcribed by Hunts FHS and is available on CDrom or fiche. All Saints is only available at Hunts Records Office.

The basic problem with this family is that there are very few Levis in Hunts, which leads me to think that he was from elsewhere, and probably married elsewhere too, possibly nearby Northants.

The NBI, which admittedly is incomplete (eg All Saints burials only start at 1800), only shows 5 Levis burials - 1625 in Easton, then the next was John son of John age 1+ on 20 Sept 1815 at Sawtry St Andrew, John aged 41 in 1825, Cathearine aged 11 on 22 Sept 1828 at Sawtry All Saints, and John Levice age 32 on 29 March 1855 at Ramsey. Sawtry All Saints

There are no Levis baptisms in Hunts on either the IGI or BVRI before 1873, although coverage for Hunts is pretty low. But the Marriage Index is complete 1701 - 1837 and there are but two Levis marriages - Rachel to Robert Wright and Charles to Lydia Stapleton in 1837, both at Sawtry. So John and Rachel married elsewhere.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock