Author Topic: Help - John LEVIS  (Read 17583 times)

Offline amateur_genealogist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help - John LEVIS
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 22 May 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
LEVIES, check LEWIS
burials at all saints sawtry.
11.3.1887.charles levies, of st andews, aged 70.
also15.2.1816, charles levis of st andrews, 3years/6months.
margaret.

Thanks! interesting to know there was an older child Charles.

Next is the hunt for connecting John Levis b. abt. 1784 to Aaron Levis and Elizabeth.

Aaron and Elizabeth lived around Stanion, Northamptonshire and had many children there in the right timeframe, and John's oldest child Thomas was baptized in Stanion in 1808; this leads me to believe John is very likely a child Aaron and Elizabeth.
Leavis, Levis - specifically in the fenlands area: Witton, Wynn - specifically in the cambridge area: Elwood Ellwood Ellword Ellard Papworth Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 24 May 21 02:29 BST (UK) »
Next is the hunt for connecting John Levis b. abt. 1784 to Aaron Levis and Elizabeth.

Aaron and Elizabeth lived around Stanion, Northamptonshire and had many children there in the right timeframe, and John's oldest child Thomas was baptized in Stanion in 1808; this leads me to believe John is very likely a child Aaron and Elizabeth.

Another hint that could point to a family connection between John Levis & Rachel Southwell and Aaron John Levis & Elizabeth Weekley who lived in Wadenhoe and Stanion:
Elizabeth Weekley's sister Rebecca Wheekley married a Matthew Southwell on 2 August 1790 in Woodnewton, Northamptonshire (all credits for finding this go to my Levis research collaborator Jo).

Are Rachel Southwell and Matthew Southwell related? (Eg niece/uncle). Possibly, I haven't been able to find Rachel's parents so far.

Further note that John has a grandson named Aaron (through his son Rueben), as well as a great-grandson called 'Aaron William'. Aaron is a name that's very uncommon in the Levis trees that I've inventoried so far.
Leavis, Levis - specifically in the fenlands area: Witton, Wynn - specifically in the cambridge area: Elwood Ellwood Ellword Ellard Papworth Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 13 November 21 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Since there's absolutely no entry for this John's baptism in the Stanion parish book, I'm now looking at close family of Aaron John Levis that could be a good match.
There's a John baptised in 7 July 1782 in Evington, Leicestershire, son of Olbond Leavis (aka Olban/Olbond Thorn/Albond Thorn/Albine) and Theathany. He's seemingly as second cousin with the children of Aaron John Levis and Elizabeth Weekely.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 21 November 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Since there's absolutely no entry for this John's baptism in the Stanion parish book, I'm now looking at close family of Aaron John Levis that could be a good match.
There's a John baptised in 7 July 1782 in Evington, Leicestershire, son of Olbond Leavis (aka Olban/Olbond Thorn/Albond Thorn/Albine) and Theathany. He's seemingly as second cousin with the children of Aaron John Levis and Elizabeth Weekely.

since this isn't complex enough already, I've also found a 'Thomas Levis' b. abt. 1790 d. 1860 Ulceby, Lincolnshire who seems to be related to the Stanion Levises.
On the 1851 census for Ulceby, his birth place is listed as 'Stainton, Northamptonshire'. His death in 1860 is reported by 'Aaron Levis' (present at his death in Ulceby), and in the 1861 census, Aaron Levis son of Aaron John Levis and Elizabeth Weekely appears in Ulceby.

I'm now starting to wonder if Aaron John Levis and Elizabeth Weekely might have not baptised multiple children between 1782 and 1796.
Not baptising children is not unheard of in my Levis genealogy research, as I have found quite a few    that didn't (for example: some turned to Methodism and stopped bothering with CoE baptisms, or even baptisms in general).

Thomas was married to a 'Mary' from Messingham, Lincolnshire and I'm hoping that their marriage entry in the parish records will show more information; I haven't manage to identified the record yet though.

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 21 November 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
My first thought on seeing the name Levis and Rachel and Reuben was to look for Jewish registers, but I can see that all the registrations of major life events were in Church. With the dates involved that will mean searching through parish registers, which are probably not indexed. I'll take a look though.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 21 November 21 18:13 GMT (UK) »
My first thought on seeing the name Levis and Rachel and Reuben was to look for Jewish registers, but I can see that all the registrations of major life events were in Church. With the dates involved that will mean searching through parish registers, which are probably not indexed. I'll take a look though.

I've found many old testament names for Levis children, but assumed this was in fashion back in the 18th and early 19th century (as well as their re-cycling of the same names over and over again).
Similarly, I've found many records for Levises with the CoE, various types of Methodist, Baptist, Quakers and other types of protestant dissenters, but for the Leicester/Lincolnshire Levises I have not ever found any Jewish (or Catholic) entries.
I've found Catholic Levises that came over from Ireland, and a few Jewish ones in London (1870-1890 immigration wave from the pale of settlement), but nothing that indicates these are related to the Levises that were already living in England in the 18th and 19th century.

There is a relatively sizable contingent of American Levises that descent from a Samuel Levis who emigrated 1680-ish to Pennsylvania (and these were quakers). Some of these descendants make the claim that they are related to the French 'de Levis' aristocratic family.
I match these American male-line Levis descendants through Y-DNA testing, even though I cannot trace back my own lineage to connect to their ancestors (my direct line has never emigrated to north American as far as I am aware). The Y-DNA haplogroup for these Levises is downstream of I-M253, which is not a Jewish haplogroup.
My personal estimation is that the name 'Levis' is more likely to come from a Danish farmer named 'Leif' or 'Leiv' than Jewish or aristocrat French ancestors.

Of course this doesn't relate directly to the Stanion Levises (until we can prove or disprove their link), but the name Levis is rare enough for me to believe they are very likely to be all related to each other.

Online manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 21 November 21 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Interesting! Thanks for the clarification. Will keep my eyes open.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks