Author Topic: Halpins of Co. Wicklow, Portarlington and Dublin City - Part 2  (Read 90483 times)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow County, Portarlington County Laois, and Dublin City.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
     It sounds to me as if Christopher Halpin was watering down his beer. 

I've come across a reference to three or four Halpins distilling and brewing in Dublin around 1800 - Christopher, Richard, William and James.  Also, it seems war abroad led to a shortage of essential spirit and malting ingredients at home - I think those ingredients must have been shipped out to feed armies.  And since so many distilleries were also linked to fantastic fortunes made overnight and to the fomentation of seditious plots, I believe there must have been an effort made by the authorities to control the spread of such establishments - through a licensing system perhaps?  I'll check it out.  Thanks for the summary on Paget, Ken.  I've come across a few Halpins located in Maryborough, Queen's County, which isn't far from Portarlington.  One in particular, a Mary Halpin, seemed to be involved in the provision of bread. Cheers.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
     Since everyone’s doing such a sterling job of nailing the story of the early 19th century Halpins, I thought I’d throw this into the mix – it involves a Halpin I can’t accurately identify – a “Peace-officer” (what’s that and how is one appointed?), and I’d like you all to keep an eye out for anything that might help me identify him.  The story comes from a long defunct English newspaper which I came across in the National Library here in Dublin – The Morning Chronicle, Thursday, September 2, 1824.

ATTEMPT AT SEDUCTION.

On Saturday evening, about five o’clock, several persons were attracted to the upper part of Trinity street, by the wild and distracted cries of a female of about 14 years of age, that had just escaped from one of those houses of infamous character in that neighbourhood.  She clang particularly to a woman in the crowd, of a decent and motherly appearance, who had a child in her arms, and besought her protection.  When she recovered a little from her agitation, on being questioned as to the particulars of the transaction, she told the following story with the most heart-touching candour and simplicity: - She lived in Tullow, in the county of Carlow; her name was Anty (Anastasia) Simmons.  Some people from that neighbourhood came to Donybrook to sell cheese at the fair; she purchased a small stock, and accompanied them.  On Saturday, whilst in the fair, a man of sedate and respectable appearance, in company with a fine looking lady, came up to her, and, after some conversation, told her if she came into town he would immediately give her a good place in his family, as he wanted a servant of her description; that the lady and all the neighbours advised her to come into town, which she accordingly did, with the gentleman, who shortly after leaving the fair, parted from the lady.  He brought her to the house ‘there beyand’, and took her up stairs; that a woman (after some whispering between them) immediately came up, and began to close the shutters, and he thereupon attempted to take liberties with her; that on perceiving his object, she screamed, and ran down stairs; the two women below thought to hold her, but she escaped from them.  At the conclusion of her story, she turned round to the crowd in the most pathetic manner and said: “Oh, all I want in the wide world is that some good Christian will bring me back to the people I know in the fair, that I may get home to my own country.  I had often heard of Dublin, but I never knew what it was before.”  Here the poor creature burst into tears.  A gentleman who happened to be passing requested she would accompany him to College street Police-office, where the above complaint was put in form on the day-constable’s book.  There being no Magistrate at that time in attendance, Peace-officer Halpin, in the most praiseworthy manner, made her go along with him to the house to which she had been entrapped.  The peace-officer being told by a person who had seen the gentleman follow the little girl from the house of ill fame, that he was walking up and down Dame-street, pursued him, and on addressing him, he assumed a most determined tone.  He asked the peace-officer for his authority for stopping him; the other evaded the question, as he had no warrant for taking him into custody, and told him, all he wanted (and he would not let him go unless he gave it) was his address.  He at length, after much altercation, went into a public house, and wrote a name and address, which he gave to the officer as his.  The peace-officer then sent the child to her friends in the fair; she promised him she would come back yesterday (Sunday), but as the fair was broken up on Saturday evening, it is supposed she went home with her poor neighbours.  Several persons attended the poor girl to the police-office, and some of their names were taken down, who saw her make her escape. – Dublin Morning Post.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Ray,
Donnybrook Fair was an occasion when more security than usual was needed.
I believe that a 'peace officer' was recruited for that specific occasion.
Over the centuries Donnybrook Fair in South Dublin had become notorious for its riots and fights. The saying, ‘It was a regular Donnybrook’ meant ‘a scene of uproar, or free fight’. An item in ‘Pue’s Occurrences’ of 29 August 1758 describes the efforts made to keep the peace:
"Sunday 27th Dublin-  This and the preceding day the Rt.Hon.the Lord Mayor, Alderman Thos Meade, and High Sheriffs Messrs Michael Sweny and Wm. Forbes, attended by the High and Petty Constables and a party of the Army, went to Donnybrook fair and staid there till night each day, by which means His Lordship preserved the peace, and prevented the many riots and disorders which frequently happen at said fair, to the great terror of the inhabitants and other persons who resort thereto."
The Donnybrook Fair was finally banned in 1855. Alderman Michael Sweny was
the uncle of Eugene who married Eliz Halpen.
Ken

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I didn't expect such an informative response so quickly - thanks, Ken.  What you say makes sense. 

Last year I posted a few pieces on an enquiry held into how markets and fairs in places like Wicklow were being used by Town Commissioners for corrupt ends.  In those postings enquiry witnesses made mention of the tremendous violence that often broke out over the course of a local fair - as a result of the commission's findings I believe fairs like the one in Donnybrook were banned.  Until you mentioned it, I didn't make a connection between the two events.

As for the piece above - it's worse than Dickensian in its violence.  I'd like very much to pass the story on to those over on the Carlow site.  The Simmons's may still have descendants in Tullow.  And I'd like to clearly identify Peace-officer Halpin if I could.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Good luck Ray. Here's another one for identification.
A contributor to the Sweny & Yeates sites has written:

"Trying to find a connection with his middle name of Talbot I found the following information.

1.   JOSEPH THOMAS TALBOT   Male     
      Birth:  12 NOV 1867   , Dublin, Ireland
      Parents:
      Father:  THOMAS TALBOT 
      Mother:  MARY ANNE HALPIN "

Anyone know who she is ?
Ken

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
The Rev. N J Halpin had a sister named Marianne, who died unmarried.  He also had a daughter, Mary Anne, who married a chap called Russell, of the USA.  So Mary Anne ran in the family.  I was only saying to Bill last night that we don't know what became of the Rev.'s brother Victor, who matriculated from Trinity in 1810, aged 19, which means he could not have been more than 16 when he began his studies.  But he might have had children.  Also, we forget the Reverend's other brother William Henry Halpin - I know he married, but Burke's peerage does not list his children, if indeed he had any.  Extensive though it is, there are gaps in our knowledge, and Mr. Talbot's mother may have slipped through one of them.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned quite some time ago that I would apply to the LDS for some films about Halpins applying to be a Cadet with the EIC.  One film has just come through with significant information on William Halpin heading for Madras.   I have images of the pages that I would be able to send off list.
The document is of 6 very official pages in which the applicant attests to his age and swears that no-one was offered any inducement to offer him a cadetship.

In essence the first page offers him a director’s nomination.  In this, ‘I, Campbell Marjoribanks Esq., being one of the Directors of the East-India Company, beg leave to present the Petitioner as a Cadet for the Madras Infantry on the Nomination of the season 1820 provided......’
Marjoribanks signs, next to which it shows:
Recommended to me by His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge.
Signed East-India House 7th March 1821.
The applicant then fills in answers to a few ‘examination’ questions:
Is the signature to this Petition in your hand-writing?  Answer: Yes
At what School have you been educated?  Answer: Mr Falloon School Dublin
Of what nature has your education been?  Answer: General
What is the profession, situation and residence of your parents or nearest of kin?  Answer: My Father is an Officer resides at Dublin in Ireland
Who recommended you to Campbell Marjoribanks for this nomination?  Answer: His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge
(Did anyone receive a pecuniary interest on account of your nomination)?  Answer: Certainly not
Are you aware that (if so you may be) rendered ineligible ...?  Answer: I am
(Signed) William Halpin
Signed in the presence of (his father’s signature), Dublin.
I am attaching an enlargement of his father William’s signature.  To me it looks like WM Halpin, or WN.  I have never seen a middle name for him – his army records?
After a page of officialese, there is an important page where the entry of his baptism in his parish church is attested to (by the curate and warden):
Extract from the Register Book of the Parish of Wicklow in the County of Wicklow.  William Son of William and Eliza Halpin Baptized August 4th 1801.
His father then also attests to the above extract but here his signature is smaller and obscured compared to the earlier example.
On the last page amongst more officialese are interesting facts about how much each cadet is expected to pay towards his passage and how much luggage he can take.
The Captain’s Table and Charter-party Passage Money costs £110, added to which he must pay Third Mate’s Mess and Charter-party Passage Money of £70.  Is this for a servant?
Here we learn that his mother's name was Eliza.

Bill

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 08:54 GMT (UK) »
     Absolutely faultless, Bill.  Couldn't be bettered.  That kind of information puts real metal into the thread.  I don't know what else to say.  Thanks, mate.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 09:13 GMT (UK) »
If I may add to the above, here we have William Halpin junior born in Wicklow Parish, presumably Wicklow town.  All of the children (except Robert Crawford who was not born in Wicklow) were born before James Halpin married Anne Halbert in Wicklow town in April 1814.  The records for this church may be in the RCB Library, Dublin, possibly including William's marriage to Eliza (surname unknown) around 1798.  (Of course it could have been in Eliza's parish, which may have been different.)  We believe William to have been born around 1777, a time when much was going on in America.  I wonder if the surviving Wicklow church records go that far back.
Bill