Author Topic: Halpins of Co. Wicklow, Portarlington and Dublin City - Part 2  (Read 90479 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow County, Portarlington County Laois, and Dublin City.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Eaton - Wicklow.

In Griffith's Valuations, mid 1800s, is the following entry.

Town of Arklow.  Main Street.

Letitia Eaton
Rev Richard E Eaton

each seemingly leasing adjoining houses, offices and yards from William Fitzhenry.
Anything known of this pair?

At about the same time, Eaton Cotter Halpin, solicitor, was getting married (1852 aged about 34), had premises at 7 Ormond Quay Dublin and in Wicklow (Thom's Directory 1852).  I don't know his wife's name but they were married in the Rathdrum registration district.  He had at least one son, James Eaton Halpin.  Eaton was the eldest son of James Halpin of the Bridge Tavern, Wicklow Town.
Bill

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 12:59 GMT (UK) »
From:  Memorials of the Dead – S.E Wicklow.  Compiled by Brian J Cantwell.

Wicklow Church of Ireland (i.e., Wicklow Town)

BESTALL.  Two memorials side by side
a)   Here lyeth the body of George Bestall who departed this life February the 8th 1743/5/8 aged 37 years.
b)   Erected by Wm Laur Bestall Esqr of Templelyon House in memory of his son Richard Frederick Bestall ABTC DL RCSI who departed September 21st 1856 at the age of 28 years.  Also the above named William Law Bestall who died May the 30th 1867 aged 67.

[Dr Stopford William Halpin, 5th son of James Halpin of the Bridge Tavern, married Susanna Frances Bestall at Arklow in 1857, daughter of William (Law?) Bestall.  Their first child was named Richard Frederick Bestall Halpin.]

HALBERT.  AD 1743.  Here lieth the body of Elinor Halbert | & Ann Halbert Nov 20th 1749.

[Nearly  70 years later, in 1814, James Halpin of the Bridge Tavern married Anne Halbert.]

HALPIN.  Four memorials, three (a,b and c) within an iron railed enclosure with d) outside to the north.  The inscriptions on d) are carved on the granite kerb surround, a b and c are recumbent slabs.
a)   In loving memory | of | George Halpin | died June 21st 1887 | also his wife | Eliza Halpin | died May 20th 1903 | and their daughters Louisiana Halpin | died February 12th 1887 | also Ida Isabella Halpin died March 29th 1961.
b)   Erected by James Halpin to the memory of | his beloved Mother Mrs Elizabeth Halpin | who died Febr 8th 1814 aged 75 years | also ..... Ann Halpin and John Halpin | children to James and Anne Halpin | also to | Louisa Halpin daughter of George Halpin of Dublin | who died March 18th 1831 aged 21 years | Robert Halpin died Dec 5th 1835 | the above named | James Halpin | died October 4th 1847 aged 69 years also his| beloved wife Jane Halpin died August 7th 1849 | Eaton C Halpin Solicitor | died July 19 1857 aged 39 years | prayer | and also Captain Frederick Halpin nephew | of the above named James Halpin who departed | this life on the 26th of February 1859 aged 36 years | Margaret Halpin daughter of the above named | Elizabeth Halpin died April 15th 1862 |also the memory of John A. Halpin | son of the above James Halpin | who died at Bermuda West Indies Oct 8th 1864 | aged 32 years | Capt Tho J Halpin died June 2nd 1878 | aged 56 years.
c)   In loving memory of | Stopford William Halpin of Arklow | born 15th January 1824 | died 27th February 1885 | and of his wife Susanna Frances | born 11th June 1829 | died 29th November 1906 | also of their children Stopford William | born 5th April 1864 | died 26th September 1864 | Susanna Frances | born 5th June 1870 | died 7th November 1870 |Nannie Caldow | born 2nd January 1868 | died 19th December 1933.
d)   In loving memory of | Robert G. Halpin | died June 1st 1906 | also James H. Halpin | died May 5th 1916.

[a)  The wife of George Halbert Halpin was Eliza Bradley, possibly of the Dublin family of solicitors.
b)  i)  James Halpin of the Tavern names his mother as Elizabeth, born about 1739.
ii)  Here is mention of George Halpin of Dublin (my George Halpin?) and if so a previously unknown daughter Louisa, born a year after Oswald in 1810, and here showing  a connection between the families.
iii)  James’ wife is somehow called Jane instead of Anne (mistranscription?)
iv)  Who is nephew Captain Frederick Halpin?
v)  Here is a sister, Margaret, to James Halpin, dies 1862.]
Bill.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Have not had anything to add to your posts of late, but am still following them with much admiration. The following are the dates for which the C of I records (actual ledgers) survive and are kept in the RCBL, Dublin.

Church of Ireland records for Wicklow Town in RCBL.

Parish Wicklow:
Baptisms:     1655 – 1991.  Marriages:   1729 – 1998.   Burials:   1729 - 1909

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Kenneth,

There is a good book entitled The Humours of Donnybrook. Dublin's Famous Fair and its Supperssion
by Séamas Ó Maitiú, for Maynooth Studies in Local History, No 4. (1995) Raymond Gillespie Series Editor.

Published by Irish Academic Press Ltd, Dublin ISBN 0-7165-2569-0.
And in North America by Irish Academic Press Ltd. c/o ISBS 5804 NE Hassalo Street, Portland, OR 97213.

Séamas teaches in Dublin and is well known as a lecturer in Local History. He was our course director when I studied for the Deploma in Local History.

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Julia, for the tip about Donnybrook Fair. Also about the BDM records
held at the RCBL. I wonder, do they also hold records for Maryborough and
Portarlington, do you know ?
There must be some trace of some of our Pagets  & Marks.
Regards,
Ken

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

Mentioning a George Halbert Halpin marrying Eliza Bradley reminds me of this entry I have on record - from Griffith's valuation (incidentally, the great Sir Richard Griffith of Griffith valuations was my great great grandfather's elder brother).  Brian

Tenant
Family Name 1    BRADLEY
Forename 1    JOSEPH
Landlord
Family Name 2    HALPIN
Forename 2    GEORGE
Barony    
Union    DUBLIN NORTH
Parish    ST THOMAS
Townland    ORIEL STREET, LOWER
Place Name    ORIEL PLACE
Place Type    OTHER
Publication Details
Position on Page    40
Printing Date    1854
Act    15&16
Sheet Number    9
Map Reference    7

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Anyone near Dublin, with some time, able to spend a day or two in the warmth and dry at the RCB Library to trawl through these registers looking for any of the surnames mentioned above?  You may have to ring first for an appointment.

I would assume that they are on microfilm but it would be even better to be able to go through the actual registers.

The earlier records are most of interest because the later the years the more other evidence exists.  For example, if we could find William Halpin's baptism around 1777, that would be a tremendous start.  (Bearing in mind that, depending on the Vicar or Warden, entries are sometimes terse and reveal disaappointingly little more than name, father and date.)

Bill
Sydney

The following are the dates for which the C of I records (actual ledgers) survive and are kept in the RCBL, Dublin.

Church of Ireland records for Wicklow Town in RCBL.

Parish Wicklow:
Baptisms:     1655 – 1991.  Marriages:   1729 – 1998.   Burials:   1729 - 1909

Julia

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
     I'll pop into the archives next week, guys.  I've been there before, almost two years ago, and viewed the records for Oldcastle and Wicklow.  Didn't spot anything out of the ordinary at the time, but I knew then nothing like what I know now, so a second visit may produce a different impression.  As for the Portarlington records - they're actually stored down in Portarlington.  The very fact that they exist at all is thanks to the negligence of authorities in the 1920s - had they sent the registers to Dublin they would have been stored at Custom House, which was burnt to the ground during the civil war in 1926, along with virtually all of the records in it.   I contacted the curate in Portarlington and she told me the records for the period I was interested in - 1750 - 1800 - were "very patchy".  Nevertheless, I hope to pay a visit this summer.

Relieved to see you're still watching us , Julia.  And Bill - got those emails.  Will respond tomorrow.  Cheers.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 March 10 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Terrific Ray,
What about Maryborough ? It's so close, you could jog over there.
Ken