Author Topic: Dr. Patrick Brodie Henderson Mcleod  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr. Patrick Brodie Henderson Mcleod
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I believe  Dr. Patrick Brodie Henderson Mcleod M.D., C.M. (born about 1841/43 in Strathy, Sutherland) is my ancestor via his father William Mcleod (born 1813 in Reay, Caithnes) who was my Great Great Great Uncle.  I believe he first became a Police Constable then entered medical school and settled in New Deer, Aberdeenshire.  His sister, Catherine Mcleod, lived with him.  I would appreciate any information about him and/or Catherine, if there is an Obituary somewhere and so on. Thank you. Denise Taylor (nee Macleod)

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Patrick Brodie Henderson Mcleod
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 10 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome,
Here PBHM becoming "acting surgeon" for the 5th Aberdeenshire Corps rifles in 1879: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/24716/pages/3119 (bottom column two).
Regards
Rob

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
This publication - http://bit.ly/9YISb4 - includes the following entry:

McLeod, Patrick Brodie Henderson, M.B.,C.M. 1876 ; M.D. 1879.
S. of William McL. ; b. Strathy, Sutherlandshire, 31st Dec. 1840.
D.P.H. 1891. New Deer, Aberdeenshire.

Rob

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. 

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

With a unique name like that - he couldn't fail but to be in Google books somewhere.  If you go to the link

http://books.google.co.uk/books?q=Dr.+Patrick+Brodie+Henderson+Mcleod&btnG=Search+Books

It advises he was born in 1840 in Strathy and dies aged 74 in Aberdeen , therefore  dies in 1914 -=/- 1 yr.  You should have no problems getting his dc from the ppv site www.scotlandspeople..gov.uk

Just looked using a free SP search.  Scotlandwide 1900 to 1930 no deaths of a Patrick Brodie McLeod, however, change the surname to MacLeod and there is 1 and he dies in 1914, in Aberdeen City.  His death entry hopefully will give both parents name and mothers maiden name - assuming the informant knew it. 

Regards,  Steve  :)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
And from www.familysearch.org.uk

An 'extracted entry of a birth to PBH Mcleod to William Mcleod and Jane Mckay.  This birth entry will be available for download from Scotlands People (SP) - cost £1.20 or 6 credits.  Min £6.00 spend  THis will be an image - not a transcription.  Has him born in Farr, Sutherland on 31 Dec 1840.

Away to look for siblings.

2 siblings look likely from from the IGI

Kitty Macleod b.  09 Nov 1838, Farr, Sutherland and Frances McLeod  1846, Farr, Sutherland.

However - am finding this family difficult on Freecen.  Can only find a Kitty on the 1841, with a 30 yr old William, 20 years old margaret,, 1 yr Alexr and 3 yr old Kitty address, in 'Geary',  Duirnish, Invernessshire.  Is this the same family?  (relationships not given in the '41 census).

Regards,  Steve

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 February 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve, this is very helpful.  I  have found William with his wife, Jane, daughter Kitty (Catherine) and Patrick on the 1841 Scotland Census via Ancestry.   Frances appears on the 1851 Census (Ancestry).  I think therefore that the Freecen family you mention are not applicable.   Many thanks  - I will certain explore Google..

:)Denise

Offline TheTreeDetective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My great-grandmother was "Annie Brodie Henderson Gunn" and I am trying to find out where the "Brodie Henderson" came from.
She was born in Latheron, Caithness on 8th Jan 1867 and was the daughter of William Gunn (1825-1906) and Margaret Simpson (1827-1920).  William's mother had a half-sister, called Christina Sutherland (1798-1872) who married John McLeod (1798-1869) in Latheron on 5 May 1822.  I am wondering whether Dr Patrick Brodie Henderson Gunn is a relation of John McLeod or, if not, is there any other connection between William Henderson or Patrick Henderson and my branch of the tree.
Hoping someone might be able to help.