Author Topic: Benjamin John Shotton (Gunner RGA)  (Read 7216 times)

Offline richy B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin John Shotton (Gunner RGA)
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am searching for any information on the above. His Army number is 155866. I believe he was a range finder in The Royal Garrison Artillery and served  in Mesopotamia. I think he was discharged in 1917. Sometimes known as Jack Shotton on his papers. He may have been born in the district of Shifnal in Shropshire I am trying to find out the exact date. My thanks in advance for any help.
Richard

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin John Shotton (Gunner RGA)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 10 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Births Mar 1889   

Shotton  Benjamin John     Shifnal  6a 589
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richy B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
It is indeed, thank you very much. Actually on that census he is a 12 year old boy. I am now going to start reading the "How to" pages to try and link him to the other surnames I have been given.
My thanks again.
Richard

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just checked to see if his service record has survived but can only see his Medal Card.  Maybe you have this already.

There is a service record for John Shotton born 1892 who lived at 74 High Street, Shifnal (service number 170948).  May be related to Benjamin John Shotton  ???.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 February 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
HI

If you want help in connecting names then please post them I  for one would be happy to help out.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline richy B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 10 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,
Probably is a relation, I shall have to check that with the family.
Please can you tell me how to find his medal card on-line, I am fascinated by how fast you all can do these things. It has taken me months to get where I am now. Thank you for your help.

Offline richy B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 10 13:03 GMT (UK) »
HI

If you want help in connecting names then please post them I  for one would be happy to help out.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
That is very kind thank you, need all the help I can get as a newbie. There is one condition, please can you explain how you connect the names, I would like to learn and may be help someone else some time in the future.

The names I have so far; Shoebotham and Marson only info for these to connect them is some old photos of them at different farms in Cheadle, N. Staffs. "Callow Hill Farm", "Mow Cop Farm", and "Crowborough Farm". We can not identify who is who because the writing on the photos only gives either a surname or a farm not both. Really frustrating. There is also the name Cooke of Whoore staffs.

Some members of the Shotton family have Marson as a middle name so we know there is definatley a link there.

Is it best for me to subscribe to see more records, or just pay as I go?

Thanks all once again

Rich

Edit: Should I post these names in the Staffordshire section of the site, or is that double posting?

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 10 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rich & welcome
You can copy the link at the top of this page & post it on the Staffs. board,that will direct anyone interested to here.
If you have photos you can scan them (back & front) & put the on the dating board to give you a timeframe.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 February 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,

Will send you a PM re the Medal Card.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire