Author Topic: Sarah Gregory  (Read 7121 times)

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Gregory
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Laura
Just wondering what your lineage is back to Thomas.
I married into the Gregory family, which is why I did some research on the family.
I have a copy of William's Birth Cert.
Adoption wasn't in at the time we are discussing.
If you read all of this thread I'm sure you will find it of interest.
Hope to hear from you soon, there may be more relatives than you think.
Regards
Bob.
Maggs of amesbury or figheldean
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 January 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

Thomas Gregory had a number of children - the 1911 census states that there were 8 born, with 7 still living. I don't know if William is included in the 8, but he appears with them on the census, and is listed as a son (not on the 1901 census). At one point he worked on the Swindon Railway as a packer ?, but am yet to narrow down his railway service record.

The other Gregory children I have found so far are: Ernest James 1895, Leah Sarah M 1899, Edith 1902 (she has a cousin also called Edith born in same year), Evelyn Gertrude 1905, Elizabeth Maud 1908 and John Thomas 1911. I haven't yet been able to find who died.

Leah married Harold John Nicholls in 1928 in Preshute (I have ordered their marriage certificate). I don't know much about Harold - family rumour is that he was found on the steps of an orphanage in London/Surrey, and that he may have originally had another name... I need to speak to my great aunts to find out more. I am hoping that the marriage certificate will give me more clues.They had Ernest James Nicholls (named after brother?) in 1930, who was my Grandad. He married Florence Muriel Joan (Dinks)Easton and they had my Dad in the 1950's. I was born in 1981.

I originally started to research Harold John Nicholls, as a photo of him in ww1 once appeared in a book - the book has now been lost over the years, but I would love to find his service records and maybe even a copy of the book - all I know is that he was posing with a machine gun! The Nicholls' and Eastons ended up living in the same road in Worcester Park in London in the 1950's-1960's.

Which branch of the Gregorys are you related to? From browsing other family trees, it seems that the Gregory relations could be traced back as far as 1560, via the Gingells.

Laura

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Laura
Just a quicky, I'm married to William Gregory's g/daughter.
Will be back later with more info on William.
Must rush.
Regards
Bob.
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Bob. I look forward to further details!

Laura

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 January 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Laura
The reason that William was not on the 1901 Census with the rest of the  family is that he (William)  was in a household that was being used as a temporary overflow for the Infectious Diseases Hospital. He was suffering from smallpox. There were 17 children there ranging in age from 2yrs old to 13yrs old.
I only traced back to William's G/father on the Gregory side, then went on to trace William's wife's side the Pykes.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Bob.
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 January 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

That sounds like it may tally with a census entry I browsed the other day, but am unsure to which other family member I saved it under now... can you give the address or reference of the census entry that has William entered then? As one of his cousins / adopted brothers/ sisters didn't survive to 1911, then I wonder if they  died of smallpox.

I've not yet tried to find his wife, so that will be my next task to add to the tree!

Thanks for your help,

Laura

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 January 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Laura
The reference I have is RG 13/1903 page 22 & 23.
William married in 1921 in Devizes. His wife was Florence Mary Pyke, born 11-9-1897 in Williton Somerset.
There is a record of Albert Edward Gregory born 4th Quarter 1902, Died 1st Quarter 1904 Swindon.
but not sure if this is the one that you are looking for.
Would be interested in forebears of Stephen Gregory (Thomas's grandfather) if you have such info.
Regards
Bob
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 January 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I haven't yet got a Stephen Gregory in my tree, but if you send me your email address via the private message system on this site, I could then send you a link to view my tree on another website, so that you can see some of the distant Gregorys' that I have found so far, and how our relatives match.

Laura

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 January 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I have also been in contact with other distant relatives of the Gregorys. It appears that at first I confused Stephen Gregory as Thomas's father, as some other trees on Ancestry confuse the too (the fact that there are too Charles Gregorys born in the same year, in near locations,  probably confused this).Edmund Gregory is Thomas's father.

Laura