Author Topic: Anybody's guess at this NA note?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anybody's guess at this NA note?
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone the knowledge of TNA descriptions for the catalogue notes...

Court of Chancery: Six Clerks Office: Pleadings before 1714, Whittington C ...
John Hawkins v John Turner, Ralph Turner, Matthew Turner, William Turner, John Barkley and Susan Longe: marriage contract, Middx. Answer . John Hawkins v John Turner, Ralph Turner, Matthew Turner, William Turner, John Barkley and Susan Longe: marriage Date: 1649.

Source: The Catalogue of The National Archives Court of Chancery: Six Clerks Office: Pleadings before 1714, Whittington C ...
John Howkins v John Turner, Ralph Turner, Matthew Turner, William Turner, John Barkley and Susan Long: marriage contract, Middx . Bundle 9: suits removed to the record rooms, Easter 1651 John Howkins v John Turner, Ralph Turner, Matthew Turner, William Date: 1649.

I take it someone is marrying... Not sure who or where...  ::)
Source: The Catalogue of The National Archives

I'd be very grateful for any clue to this... Thanks Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody's guess at this NA note?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
No idea, sorry, but you might do better posting this in a more general section.  Not everyone looks at the Berkshire board.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it means that a) there was a marriage contract and b) something went wrong. Perhaps the case is there because the marriage didn't happen.

It got to Chancery, which means that there was a legal dispute - in this case John Hawkins is suing John Turner, Ralph Turner, Matthew Turner, William Turner, John Barkley and Susan Longe for some sort of redress.  Perhaps the marriage took place, perhaps not. There is actually no reason why any of those mentioned should be either bride or groom - it could, for instance, be the bride's father suing the groom's siblings if they happened to be the parties to the original contract.

The only way to find out what it was all about is to look at the court papers that this catalogue entry refers to.  There could be a lot of papers and they could include a lot of great family history.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 10 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies...

I did go to TNA to look at this document.... or what I thought was a document... Blimey  :o

Well, hence my query....

It was a whole, very big box full of papers with very small writing... on full size skins...  :-\

Hoping its in connection with my Ralph Turner and Susannah in Bray c1650 - 1689.
Could be worthwhile getting an estimate for digital copy...
then I can read thru over the weeks it would probably take....  ;D

Thanks again, Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner