Author Topic: Mary McIlfatrick/McElfatrick marriage?  (Read 5197 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary McIlfatrick/McElfatrick marriage?
« on: Sunday 28 February 10 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Trying to help someone find their ancestors and we are stuck.

Samuel McIlfatrick/McElfatrick born 1881/1884 (war records give his birthdate around 1881 but census and probable baptism c1884). He was supposed to be born at 'Tamlaght' and poss. baptism lists residence as Lismoyle which is correct area (mother listed as May).

CWGC says Samuel was son of Mary McIlfatrick which makes it sound like mother was still alive. Marriage record shows father as John McIlfatrick (think this is a red herring).

We don't know Mary's age or any other details. I have searched for her in 1911 census and can't find her even just searching for 'Mary' in Ireland. If Samuel was illegitimate (as indicated by the baptism) it's possible Mary married after 1884 and is in census under another surname.

So. can anyone find a marriage for Mary McIlfatrick/McElfaterick sometime after 1884. Samuel was known to be in Tamlaght/Kilrea/Garvagh area and mother Mary might have been connected to Ballynian area near Swatragh.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McIlfatrick/McElfatrick marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Assuming that the father is not a red herring there are two possibilities.
11 Feb 1876 a John McIlfatrick married Mary Ann Murphy in Kilrea 2nd Presbyterian Church.

In 1869 and 1872 daughters were born to John McIlfatrick and Mary Michael. They were registered in Garvagh. However I cannot find a birth for a Samuel or a later marriage.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 10 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.
That John was a widower on 1876 marriage to Mary Murphy and believe 1st marriage might have been to Mary Michael in 1853 (there was a daughter Sarah born 1865 Dullaghy and probably other children before registration).
From marriage of John and Mary (Murphy) there was also a son Hugh in 1878.
Samuel's birth is not only not in index, under his name at least, but GRONI apparently were unable to locate it searching 1873-1887.

Offline McCallister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I have marriage information on a Mary McIlfactrick, born in Kilrea Londonerry Northern Ireland about 1864 (est.) Her father was Hugh McIlfactrick, mother Jane.  I have been trying to verify birth records for her and her sister Annie born about 1868.  This pair of sisters came to US, Annie in 1880, worked in Detroit Michigan. Mary married in Canada Mar 1894 to Dugald McMillan, and had one daughter. I have some records of McIlfactricks in Kilrea, but nothing matches up with these names.  Is this the Mary you are looking for.  I would be happy to share additional information with you.

Moderator's Note: see new thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=514160.new#new

Offline Teressa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello hope you don't mind my asking but yr mary michael are there any descendants you no of for a Margaret Michael ,sister or etc. would love to no if you have Margaret Michael was my g,g,g,grandmother and from Ireland and had family in Canada kind regards Teressa   :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Michael is an extremely common surname in this area- you really need to know details such as townland and parents to try to start making a connection to other Michaels in this area.