Author Topic: James Grey  (Read 1653 times)

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James Grey
« on: Sunday 28 February 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the birth record of my great grandfather James Grey.  At the time of his marriage to Kate Winser in 1898 in Dover he was a 29 year old milkman and his father was Charles Grey a domestic coachman.

On the 1901 census Kate and their two children were living in Dover, but by the 1911 census they were living at Lansdown Villas, Ludgershall.  James is not shown on either census.  At the time of their daughter Lucy's wedding in 1918 in Ludgershall he was an employee of the N.A.C.B. 
Does anyone know what this stands for and how I might be able to find any information from them?

James died in February 1934 at Newton Villas, Kimpton and I believe he is buried in St James Church, Ludgersahll.  His wife Kate died in 1966, his daughter Lucy died in 1972, her husband Ernest Waters in 1975.  His son Frederick died in 1961 and his wife Susannah in 1972.  They are all also buried at St James Church, Ludgershall.

Are there any members of the family still living in the area who may be able to help with his birth details?

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Grey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
NACB - a quick Google Search reveals - near Ludgershall and Tidworth, located on/edge of Salisbury Plain. ..... In 1917, the War Office set up the Navy and Army Canteen Board (NACB NACB ...

From  http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%60Everything+on+its+belly'--feeding+the+first+AIF+problems+and...-a083447559

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 10 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the Birth Papers for the 1 year old James shown with Mother Kate in Dover 1901?

I wondered if James Snr had a different occupation by then?

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 March 10 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the Birth Papers for the 1 year old James shown with Mother Kate in Dover 1901?

I wondered if James Snr had a different occupation by then?
Hi there
Thanks for replying.  James junior is actually Frederick James and no I don't have birth papers for him but I do have the birth records of his sister.  Thanks for the info on the NACB.
Regards
Yelsel

Offline Hawthorn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Lesley, I am a direct descendant of Annie, Kates sister. Have you had any luck with information about the Winsers since this post? Please get in touch. If anyone else reading this can help me contact Yelsel, please also get in touch . Thanks! Hawthorn1