Author Topic: Burtons 1800's Egerton Kent  (Read 2240 times)

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burtons 1800's Egerton Kent
« on: Monday 01 March 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Please please can one of you clever people explain to me why I cant find births or anything else for that matter of members of a Burton Family on either familysearch IGI or ancestry parish records search when the marriage of the parents is on IGI. I have scrolleddown every single Burton to no avail.
Thomas Burton  born 1879  Lenham (or Egerton as he states Egerton on the 1841 census) Kent marries Elizabeth Austen 1813 Lenham
his children are
Thomas 1815,  Harriet 1826,  Edmund 1830,  Frances 1833,
There is also Rueben 1839 on the 41 census but he turns out to be son Thomas 1815 and have found him on ancestry.
If I visit my local LDS Family Centre will it show them but without a reference I cannot order them can I. What if I visit Ashford Library will it show these births.
I am so confused
Please please put me out of my misery
SH

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burtons 1800's Egerton Kent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I see that this is a submitted record by a member of the LDS, and not an extracted record from a parish register.
Entries which are from the controlled extraction program can generally be regarded as accurate, whilst private patron submissions are to be treated with extreme caution!
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
As Stan says - the marriage shown on IGI is only a submitted entry, the submitter may have good reason to believe the details of the marriage are correct, but also could have just assumed that as they married in Lenham that they originated there.

Have you taken the names and DOB for the children from census records? What info is given for their places of birth?
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 10 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have taken the births from the 41 and 51 census and they are all born Egerton Kent

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 10 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Is the only way I am going to find these births to pay a visit to the libraries in either Maidstone or Ashford which ever Egerton comes under for paris registers and will these registers show up every thing I am looking for.
SH >:(

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
That's an almost impossible question to answer. You might find what you are looking for, you might not.

I found the family on the 1841 ceensus, living in Egerton, all listed as born in county i.e. Kent. But that doesn't necessarily mean they were born in Egerton.

On the 1851 I can find Thomas with son Reuben, new wife and 2 more children. Thomas and Reuben listed as born Lenham. And a possible Frances 18 as a servant, listed as born Egerton. Haven't been able to find any of the rest of the family.

Perhaps you should put a request on the Kent board asking where the records are available if you are able to travel to check them out yourself. Or put up a request for a look up if you cannot get there yourself.
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I have marriages for members of the Burton family at St James Egerton,1800 onwards  I have births from the familysearch site for baptisms for Egerton 1770 onwards but am struggling to understand the set up of civil parishes, registration districts and sub registration. Do births in Lenham, Charing, Egerton all come under the civil parish of Egerton. The reason I ask is I have Elizabeth Burton nee Cullen on the 1861 census with her details correct born Ulcomb etc, also on this census I have a James Burton listed as brother but think he is brother-in-law listed as born Charing, civil parish Egerton age is correct with a James Burton I have as born Egerton with a brother Thomas who was the husband of Elizabeth. Can anyone explain this mystery to me.

Please please help

Stubble
 :'(