Author Topic: Elizabeth Plumb  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Plumb
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 02:43 GMT (UK) »
This family had very bad luck...

Albert William Plumb died 10 Dec 1924 in Ottawa General Hospital at the age of 15. His father, Charles, was the informant. I was concerned we may have the wrong family at first because Albert's parents were listed as Charles Plumb and Elizabeth Summerfield but I see that Elizabeth's middle name was Somerford so it was likely a clerical error or something regarding Elizabeth's surname (ie Charles says his wife is Elizabeth Somerford Plumb and the clerk assumes Somerford was her maiden name and then spells it wrong).

John Plumb, son of C.J. Plumb and Elizabeth Summerford, died on 8 Sep 1913 at the age of 4 months, 6 days in Ottawa.

Gertrude Plumb, daughter of Charles John Plumb and Elizabeth Walker, died 26 Dec 1914 in Ottawa. The registration was difficult to read but I think it said she was 2 months old.

Rhoda Plumb, daughter of Charles John Plumb and Elizabeth Walker, died 20 Feb 1926 at the age of 10 in Ottawa.

Possibly another child...

There is a Francis Plumb, son of Chas. Plumb, who died 30 May 1908 in Ottawa at the age of 8 months. There is no space for the name of the mother on the form used in 1908 so I don't know if it's definitely the same family or not. The registration said Francis was born in Canada but I haven't found a birth registration for him in Ontario.

The address on Charles' death registration was Rideau Park.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Charles returned from WWI on the Missanabie which departed from Liverpool and arrived in St. John, New Brunswick on 19 Feb 1917. Here's a link to the passenger list (he's listed as C.J. Plumb near the bottom of the page):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/084v/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 06:55 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Canadian soldier in WWI named Charles John Plumb, born London England on 23 Oct. 1882.  His wife was Elizabeth and they were living in Billings Bridge, Ontario.

Here is a link to the Attestation Papers for Charles:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/084x/
He first enlisted in 1915 and then again in 1919. If you want to obtain a copy of his file there are instructions on how to order it at the link. You can order it online if you supply a credit card number (it's a secure site) and the cost depends on the size of the file.

Jacquie

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, after a good nights sleep I open up to all this info. Thanks so much. Will digest and edit my notes. Do not want tosound ungrateful but any idea when Elizabeth died?

Regards

John

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 07:48 GMT (UK) »
The Ontario deaths database at Ancestry only goes to 1934. The database at the LDS Labs website covers a couple more years. I didn't find a death for Elizabeth in either.

Ontario privacy laws currently protect deaths from 1939 to present and if Elizabeth re-married, marriages from 1928 to present.

If Elizabeth stayed in Ottawa, you could try contacting the Ottawa Public Library to see if they can find an obituary for her and Charles. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.biblioottawalibrary.ca/index_e.html

It's possible Elizabeth's date of death could be in Charles' WWI file. When I ordered my grandfather's file there was a death notification in it that had my grandfather's name but the date of death was years after he died. I then realized it was my grandmother's date of death that was listed. She was getting survivor benefits from my grandfather's military pension so they couldn't close the file until after she died.

Jacquie