Author Topic: Tregotha  (Read 4700 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Tregotha
« on: Monday 01 March 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in any instances of the Tregotha Surname.There are instances of this name in the 1861 Census in South Wales and in the 1871 Census in Staffordshire involving the family of a Charles Tregotha given as born in Burslem in c 1834.There are also two names mentioned in the Staffordshire marriages,the Charles that I referred to and an Elizabeth who married a Luke Tunstall.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tregotha
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It may (or may not) be relevant but there is a Tregotha Farm in Cornwall. It would also seem to be a region of Cornwall. There is also an Agnes Tregotha born about 1799 died March 1873 Atcham, Montgomeryshire/Shropshire. She is listed in the first quarter of 1873 (or course) district of Atcham, vol 6a, page 508.

gordon5
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 10 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gordon,the farm and region in Cornwall could well  be relevant.Yes I did see the death of the Agnes but no earlier sighting of her on any Census.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline peony62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have an Elizabeth Tregotha (b. around 1840) who was married to my GGG Grandfather, Luke Tunstall.  Her father was Charles and she had a sister Emma (b. 1839) and brother Charles? (b. 1835).

From my research she seems to have been in Chell workhouse along with her sister by the age of 13.  After Luke died she married a Joseph Patrick.  She was still alive in 1911, visiting her daughter and a widow.

Would love any information about the family as hitting a brick wall!

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 00:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,I raised the subject of the Tregotha as I was trying to help a Tunstall contact.I have an Enoch T Tunstall born in Burslem in c 1860 in my tree who married one of my Durber relatives,an Emily Durber.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gozza53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 November 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new here but I'm researching family connections (though not mine) with Wolstanton and Burslem Union Workhouse. I've carried out some earlier research on the workhouse buildings etc, and have now turned to the people who passed through, i.e. paupers/inmates, vagrants/tramps, and staff. Tregotha was one such record (pauper) I came across and my basic notes on this are as follows:

One such surname is that of Tregotha, an old Cornish name for ‘cloth’. Elizabeth Tregotha aged 13 (born 1838) appeared to be alone in the workhouse with her sister Emma aged 12 (born 1839). Further research suggests that their parents were Charles and Elizabeth Tregotha (both born in 1805) and their siblings were Eliza (born 1828), Mary (born 1830), and John (born 1832). Both Charles and Elizabeth were born in Staffordshire but Charles’ mother Elizabeth (born 1771) was born outside Staffordshire, quite possibly in Cornwall.
The elder of the two sisters, Elizabeth, went on to marry Luke Tunstall in 1862 at Christ Church, Cobridge. Luke later died and she married again this time to Joseph Patrick. Elizabeth was still alive in 1911 when recorded living with or visiting a daughter.
Despite the unusual surname there is little evidence of the family in the North Staffordshire area although a Charles Tregotha (possibly a brother of the two sisters) married Ann Kelsall in 1865 at Christ Church, Cobridge. There is also birth records for Elizabeth Tregotha (born 1862) and Charles Tregotha (born 1865) and although they cannot be either Elizabeth’s or Emma’s children they are probably a niece and nephew.

My aim is to make forward and backward connections with some of those who 'passed' through the workhouse to suggest how or why they arrived there and how they fared afterwards. Of course I've come to recognise that dates are seldom to be relied upon so these dates should be considered approximations.

I hope this is helpful and if I come across any more information I'll pass it on. If anyone has information that I may find useful with regard to the workhouse and its residents and staff, I would be very pleased to see it.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
First of all a very warm welcome to Rootschat.Thanks for the detail you mention about the Tregotha family.Again whilst the individuals don't appear in my Tree,the Tunstall family that Elizabeth married into is well represented on my Tree.

As far as the project you are doing on the Wolstanton and Burslem Union Workhouse,maybe if you were to introduce it on the Staffordshire board on this Site,I'm sure there will be those who will come forward with people from within their own families.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire