Author Topic: 1743 Marriage/licence Chippenham Cambridgeshire  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1743 Marriage/licence Chippenham Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Kylie - I don't know if it would be worth contacting this person, or maybe you already have, he does a Kidman One Name Study - T.H.F. Kidman and this is a link to just one of the pages on Ancestry Message Boards.

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.england.cam.general/2598.1466.2.2.3.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 12:30 GMT (UK) »
In 1743 there were no witnesses. That didn't start until 1754. In Cambs if any extra detail is in the marriage entry eg parish of residence, then it would be shown in the transcript. Pre 1754 you're lucky to get more than the two names and the date.

If he intended to marry in Chippenham then he would have had to apply for an ordinary licence from Sudbury archdeaconry, which doesn't mean to say that he was necessarily from that archdeaconry. If it was by special licence which enabled them to marry anywhere then he would have had to apply to the archbishop of Canterbury - see http://www.sog.org.uk/vg/vicgen1.htm

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks I didnt realise that with witnesses- I have heard back from the RO and there is no allegation at Suffolk or Cambridge. I have also tried Canterbury (or the research officer did on my behalf) and says there is nothing there either.

Thanks Selina- will see if I can contact him

So it would seem the records are gone. So no way of gaining any more info on William and Martha from their marriage...

If their daughters were baptised non conformists as adults, what are the chances of their births being recorded?

Any ideas on where I might be able to seach for burials of William and Martha?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Kylie