Author Topic: Waterlow & Sons (Printers)  (Read 54104 times)

Offline p6steve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlow & Sons (Printers)
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 30 November 23 21:22 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather at the back on the right looking every inch the supervisor he was 😁

Offline ColinHyams

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlow & Sons (Printers)
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 07 December 23 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I worked at Waterlows Dunstable as a monotype keyboard operator on night for two weeks before giving my notice. It was all time study if you went to the toilet you had to work to cover the time. One night I had to set from an index of agents throughout the world in the language of that country. I defy any time and motion to work out a time for that. The following night I was asked if I left a job of my time docket, I replied the only thing I want is to leave at the end of the week which I did. Talk about class segregation they had a goods lift for the factory and a carpeted lift of the office staff. I found this degrading as a person I went to a grammar school with used the carpeted lift. Over the years I went on to Management is a very large publishing company as their group production manager. I was taken out and wined and dined by the management of Waterlows and I had great please of telling them what I thought of their Dickensian attitude. They were convinced this was the only way to operate. Now at the age of 82 I have just caught up with what happened to them and I am not surprised.