Author Topic: A Suggestion - local Register Offices  (Read 30070 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: A Suggestion - local Register Offices
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the correction, I did mean Southport; I realise that this is a photocopy of an original transcription, if you get my meaning!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's easy to mistake a GRO cert for a copy of the original if no one actually signed their name, but just "made their mark".  But if they did sign, then the giveaway is that everything is in the same handwriting, signatures and all.

Mind you, on some of mine you have to look quite closely to distinguish my relative's signature from the registrar's writing!  I guess people were taught the same style of handwriting.  And perhaps some of them were not very confident writers and copied the registrar's style.

As here - at a quick glance you might not notice, but a closer examination shows it's a different hand:

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 March 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I have found Sunderland to be extremely helpful and you can also download an application form for certificates http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=505

As mentioned in an earlier quote, other than births, all certificates I've received are scans of the original entries.  After receiving a copy of my father's death certificate, it felt a little strange, to see my own signature on it!

Following my application for another death cert, a lady rang to say they could not find an entry... after asking a few questions, off she went and then rang back to say she had finally located it, registered in Houghton-le-Spring, sub-district of Durham Northern and registered the following year to the one I'd given... so very helpful, I'd say!

justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 March 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Following comments here I decided to check the non-GRO certificates that I have, most of which were obtained from my local Register Office in Warrington. I noted that up to October 2007 they were all hand-written copies made by the deputy superintendant registrar, but after that date they all appeared to be actual copies of the original. Further examination showed that that date was when a different person became the deputy, so perhaps the method used is at the discretion of whoever is doing it.

Whilst agreeing that one usually receives better service from local offices, one advantage of the GRO I find is that their certificates are A4 in size. Local offices in my experience always issue long certificates which are not as easy to file, unless you buy a certificate folder which accommodates them. An alternative is to use an A3 photocopier with a reduction facility but relishing a challenge I worked out a procedure for reducing these long certificates to A4 size using image processing software on my computer.
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 March 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »
As I've reported elsewhere, Hull currently offers a postal service at £7 with a up to a week's wait (in person it's £7 and wait a week, £8 and wait two hours or £10 and get it now).  I've had both typed and scanned certificates from them, and don't know why.  But they are shortly going to move this service, for "historical" certificates, to the History Centre.  No one seemed to know how old an event had to be to be counted as "historical".
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 March 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
One of the worst local RO's in London that I have had to deal with is Wandsworth.  Rude staff & not inclined to even answer the most basic question ie can I order a certificate from you?  Go to our Website and fill out the form.  What if I did not own a computer?          And if you want them to look at their other records ie cemetary they will charge £30.00 a complete rip-off

At the other end of the spectrum  Teignemouth  was the most helpful I have ever come across, I had a choice of 2 certs so phoned them told them of my dilemma, the girl looked them both up & told they were actaully for the same person the 2nd being an amendment to the first.  She even answered my query about the mothers' name.  And the cert arrived withiin 24 hours.  Great service.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 March 10 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I ordered a Birth certificate, by first class post, on Tuesday (5th March) from Nottingham Register Office.
I sent a 1st class sae with my order, & received the certificate today. The certificate is a scan of the original register, A4, & easy to read (the birth took place in 1909, so not that old)
I'm happy with that, but it's a pity that the Post Office saw fit to clip a semi-circle out of the envelope, which just caught one of the folds of the cert, luckily not on the printed part >:(

I have previously ordered from Birmingham. Their service is first class.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 March 10 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Can't imgaine how the service from Wolverhampton Register Office could be improved. 

Not only are they quick and happy to answer queries, with a call-back so you're not left on an expensive phone call but posted a request on Thursday morning (THIS WEEK), forgot to include an SAE but got home yesterday to find the certs had already arrived and both were photocopies, including a relatively recent one.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 March 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Wandsworth, they boast of having the lowest council tax in London, now we see the other side of the coin. Is there a connection here? i.e low taxes, poor services!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)