Author Topic: Newspaper Editor and Writer....Completed.  (Read 7924 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Editor and Writer....
« Reply #36 on: Monday 08 March 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
OK ;) ;D

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Editor and Writer....
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Nathaniel and family are buried in Ararat Cemetery.   :)  Thank you Judy Barry if you read this! I now have grave number, inscription and location map
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Editor and Writer....Completed.
« Reply #38 on: Monday 15 March 10 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone who has helped me, I had a reply from Ararat with cemetery details, burials, inscription and names of those buried there.

The key to all this was "Stawell" and I've managed to trace many people from here, Swan/Hickey/O'Brien etc pretty much up to present times.

If you attend a dentist by name of Hickey in Stawell then you can say Hi from me! ;D ;D

Again a BIG THANK YOU!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline SarahMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Editor and Writer....Completed.
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 06 February 16 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I know this has been marked as completed, but I've just made the discovery that my family is related to Nathaniel Walter Swan.  His mother Elizabeth Greacen was the older sister of my 3xgt-grandmother Rachel C Greacen.  Their father was Nathaniel Greacen, printer of Monaghan and Armagh (still working on their mother).

Rachel married Robert Black and they immigrated to New Zealand via Brisbane in the 1860s with their 7 children.

Blakely (or Bleckley) was the surname of Elizabeth's second husband Richard.  He would have brought up James Swan's 4 children after James' unfortunate death in 1839.  Richard was a witness at Rachel and Robert's wedding.

I haven't gotten much further back on the Greacen family.  Current evidence suggests they were Quakers although John Blakely/Bleckly who presided over both Elizabeth and Rachel's weddings was doing so in a Presbyterian Church.

Would love to make contact with any of Nathaniel's descendants.

Thanks,
Sarah