Author Topic: Family names, Lappin, McEntee, Farrell (O'Farrell) any info would help!  (Read 1871 times)

Offline sheila77551

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,,  I am searching for the following families, Lappin, McEntee, and Farrell or (O'Farrell).  I believe many of them lived in and around Belfast in the 1880's, some before that.  I have the following information, gathered in my notes.  From previous experience, I am not certain I will be able to cut and paste, then edit my notes.  If this is the case, please ignore irrelevant notes.  I thank you all for your committment to the assistance of others in their quest!

I have  learned that my G-grandmother Marriane McEntee Lappin had two sisters named, Jetta, a teacher (could this be Bridget) and Kate (maybe Katherine or Catherine), who married a Tom O'Niel (O'Neil), who was in the shoe business. They had three daughters named Vera, Nora and Alice.  She also had a son, who became a Jesuit priest.
Marianne's husband Henry, or Patrick (not sure which) was head of the Math and Science Department, (Physics and Chemistry) at St. Mary's Training Academy College for Teachers.  He was from County Fermanagh. They lived on Falls Road, and Reglan St. in Belfast. 
Marianne McEntee Lappin had three children, Henry Anthony who emigrated to the US in 1912, and Mamie, (Mary BJ), a graduate of The National University in Dublin.  Mamie taught in a convent school in Yorkshire.  Marianne died of pneumonia while visiting Mamie there.  Mamie later joined a cloistered convent in Dublin, where she died in the 1980's.  There was another son born to Marianne, named John Joseph who died when he was two years old, in April of 1896.

Her oldest son Harry (as he was called), was a notable figure in America.  It appears, he was educated at St. Malchy's College, Belfast; Terenure College, Dublin; National University of Ireland, Dublin; University of Minn.; Cornell University, Ithaca N.Y.; Canisius College, Buffalo N.Y.  On November 27,1924 he was elected to the Royal Society of Literature, London England.  His good friend, poet, playwright and more, John Drinkwater sent correspondence informing him of his honor.  His list of accomplishments and contributions to his new country is innumerable.  He died suddenly in 1945 at the young age of 55.  The legions of heartbroken mourners in attendance at his funeral is legendary.
In 1914, He Married Alice O'Farrell of Belfast Ireland and they had several children, born in the USA.. 
I am still searching for information on this (my) family.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Civil Marriage

Date of Marriage
 1 Jul 1889

Groom Name
 henry LAPPIN

Bride Name
 marianne MCENTEE

Church
 Belfast Roman Catholic Church

Parish
 Belfast Urban 2

Civil District