Author Topic: Missing Great Grandmother  (Read 2861 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Great Grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 08:52 GMT (UK) »
If she is not the informant, then not a lot will be gained - that will not prove she was not still around with him.
But if she is, then it will show she was still around in 1947, and may provide an address or something.

If it is a son or daughter that is the informant, then that might give you a lead to follow back, to see if that person was a child from his 'marriage' to Sarah Naomi, or from a later marriage or liaison, which if so, might suggest that he and Sarah Naomi parted.

Another idea worth pursuing would be to see if Burton left a will, and if so if that mentions SN or not.

All the best.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
  • The Shah - Captain William Osburn (GGGrandfathe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 10 16:50 GMT (UK) »
WELL - that helped lots - NOT  >:(

The informant was one Lillian Benton who was 'causing the body to be burried' which suggest the elusive Sarah had either beaten him to the pearly gates or got bored of him before he died!!

My contact on this side of the family gave me this info as he had already ordered the cert. Burton was a railway signalman at the time of his death and he [my contact] has tried to find some info on dependants from the railway pension funds but his [Burton] role didnt have a pension scheme in those days!!

Do you think it would be worth looking (or requesting a look up) on the ships lists for her being that I literally cannot find anything after her marriage to Burton?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again
Jo

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The difficulty with finding anything for her after 1915 when she married Burton is due to 2 things - firstly being after the last available census recources are more limited, but more so that we dont know what name any records may be under.
She could be Sara(h), Rosa, Naomi or any combination. She could be Lamb, Nicholson, Thomas or even reverted to Osbourn. Or she could have remarried again and have a different surname altogether.
She must have died somewhere at some time - but there are too many possibilites with such a range of possible names.
Do you know what happened to any of the 4 Nicholson children? Was she, for example, a witness at any of their marriages?
Who brought up your grandmother? When and where (and under what name) was the last she heard of her mother?

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
  • The Shah - Captain William Osburn (GGGrandfathe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your reply liz - I thought the unusual name of SRN would be a good thing but as you say, it just makes for an almost impossible number of searches!!

Only 3 of the Nicholson children survived - one died in infancy - and were brought up separately by different family members / close friends but remained close. As far as I know they never saw SRN again. There was one possible sighting of her during a Military Parade during WWII in Hull although there is no way of verifying this at all. All this information was given to me by the grandson in law of SRN who I found through my research (well he found me actually) as we had no idea at all that these other children existed. My grandmother herself always believed herself to be an only child.

My own grandmother was brought up in an orphanage (details of which I still need to find but possibly Little Sisters of the Poor, possibly Sheffield but most definitely by nuns) from around the age of 6. Coincidently SRN's mother died around this period so we 'think' that she would have been with her (its the own real option that makes sense). Whether my grandmother though her grandmother was her mother is another mystery which we will probably never solve.

I hope this makes sense

Jo